Chassis dimensions mesurement

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
I feel like we need to standardize on how a chassis dimensions/volume are measured.

When measuring with inner dimensions, you can sometimes shave off 0.5L or much more (330x220x60mm inner dimensions = 4.35L, but with a panel thickness of 2mm you get an outer dimension of 334x224x64mm witch is 4.79L. With a 3mm panel thickness you will get 336x226x66mm = 5.01L! ) compare to measuring with outer dimensions.

Thoughts?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I remember reading somewhere that it should also include everything that's required by the PC to be operational, like the external AC adapter.

Maybe it can be included in a way like, for example:

xxxx case, a performance powerhouse in 4.5L (+ 0.6L)

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Really this is just a variation of the age old flame war over weather or not the power brick should be included in your volume measurements. IMO the solution isnt dictating a common standard and forcing everyone else to think about this the same way you do, its ensuring the people are clear in describing how they are measuring and what their including in that measurement.

Obligatory XKCD

Reactions: Biowarejak

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
For all SFF Network reviews (which is what the Feedback section is for, any general discussion goes in General!), chassis are measured in external volume. In cases where a power brick is needed, we include that as a seperate measurement.

As an example, I would report the ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX as a 2.7L chassis, measuring 82mm by 155mm by 213mm. The power brick itself comes in at an additional 0.75 litres.

The above is company and editorial policy.