Casual 1080p HTPC gaming

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Hey everyone, my HTPC with an old 3000 series i3 CPU is getting a bit long in the tooth. Well, not really, but I have been bit by the upgrade bug.

Wondering what options are today for a mITX or smaller motherboard, with a "mITX" sized graphics card for 1080p casual HTPC gaming. I'm envisioning something with a PSU smaller than an SFX.

Here is what I know about:
1) Newest Skull Canyon NUC - too expensive
2) Last generation NUC with i3/i5/i7 - probably ok, weak on graphics
3) Newest AMD CPU with integrated graphics - are these available on mITX or smaller motherboards yet? How do they fair for HTPC duties if I think I may get a 4k TV with HDR sometime in the future?
4) AMD or Intel mITX (or smaller) motherboard with mITX GPU - what are case options for something like this that take advantage of small GPU and PSU combos?

dan1337

Caliper Novice
May 7, 2018
I would say a AMD 2200G pico PSU build is bang on. AMD have iGPU on lock bar the new Hades Canyon NUC, which costs a grand...

Freeks

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
I would say a AMD 2200G pico PSU build is bang on. AMD have iGPU on lock bar the new Hades Canyon NUC, which costs a grand...
I would rather go with the 2400G. The 2200G drops below 30fps at medium settings on some titles (Source) and that's worth the extra 40$.

Reactions: dan1337

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
If budget is not an issue then 2400G all the way.

If you don't need that much processing power, can opt for the newly announced low voltage 2400GE. Low CPU power but otherwise same GPU power. Easier to cool, i believe.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Any comments on those AMD chips with HTPC duties? I heard they can't do 4k HDR properly... maybe just waiting on drivers from AMD or maybe waiting on a whole new generation.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
If your HTPC is the one in your sig, using the E-i7n case, you could always just grab the single slot, low profile, ASL GTX 1050 ti, or 1050, and drop it in, assuming your power supply does provide enough power for it.

This way, you could avoid having to upgrade your mobo and cpu for the time being, until you come across a deal/product you really like, since you'd have to upgrade those 2 and your ram IIRC. This is the route I would go.