Discussion Ryzen 6000 APUs Expected Performance

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
As most leakers point out more and more, it seems that AMD is replacing its VEGA graphics with RDNA2 CUs (Compute Units). Although I myself don't believe this, and that instead they will work on making VEGA better. But, according to leakers, the highest specked APU will come with 12 RDNA CUs. Although that may sound like a lot, we do have to keep in mind some things.

The AMD Radeon RX 6600 comes with 28 CUs, which makes the RX 6600 a viable option for 1080p gaming at maxed settings, which is shown in TechSpot's review. So while 12CUs might still not offer 1080p 60fps gaming at maxed out graphics settings, it might offer at medium settings 60fps.

Even if you have to lower the "eye candy", this is impressive, us APU enthusiasts can finally game at 1080p. Enough said though, here is the estimated performance in game. *TAKE THESE BENCHMARKS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT*
The reason being, clock speed for RAM counts, along with at what clock the iGPU is running, along with the performance of the CPU itself.

The benchmarks for the RX 6600 are borrowed from TechSpot

Last edited:
Reactions: Revenant

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
I think the greatest predictor of the RDNA 2 APU performance is actually the SteamDeck since it has one.
Yes, but it only has 8 compute units, and although most say the valve steam deck does excel in gaming, I have noticed it is more powerful at lower resolutions than 1080p, but higher than 720p.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Well, with the launch of the 6500XT with a grand total of 16 CU's, we have a pretty good idea where 12 CU's would land. I'm cautiously optimistic; the 6500XT is gimped with a small memory bus, 4 PCIE lanes, and only 4GB of Ram. In spite of this, when the card isn't running into bottlenecks, it beats the 1060 6GB, 1650 Super, and RX 580.

The Steam Deck with 8 CU's will be functioning on 16GB of quad channel LPDDR5 ram @ 5500 MT/s. The larger pool of memory and being on the same die as the CPU removes 2 of the bottlenecks mentioned above. The only question is if quad channel LPDDR5 is fast enough to feed the GPU.

The Ryzen 6000 APU's are laptop exclusive for now. The best chance to see them at their maximum potential is in something like a Minisforum Deskmini. On a board running 2 full sized DDR5 @ +6200 MT/s, it could be something amazing.

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Well, with the launch of the 6500XT with a grand total of 16 CU's, we have a pretty good idea where 12 CU's would land. I'm cautiously optimistic; the 6500XT is gimped with a small memory bus, 4 PCIE lanes, and only 4GB of Ram. In spite of this, when the card isn't running into bottlenecks, it beats the 1060 6GB, 1650 Super, and RX 580.

The Steam Deck with 8 CU's will be functioning on 16GB of quad channel LPDDR5 ram @ 5500 MT/s. The larger pool of memory and being on the same die as the CPU removes 2 of the bottlenecks mentioned above. The only question is if quad channel LPDDR5 is fast enough to feed the GPU.

The Ryzen 6000 APU's are laptop exclusive for now. The best chance to see them at their maximum potential is in something like a Minisforum Deskmini. On a board running 2 full sized DDR5 @ +6200 MT/s, it could be something amazing.
The fact that these APUs will be more powerful than the Steam Deck is interesting. Maybe they produce a lot more heat?

Reactions: scatterforce

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
The fact that these APUs will be more powerful than the Steam Deck is interesting. Maybe they produce a lot more heat?
They will. These laptop chips will be up to +45 watts with up to 8 cores/16 threads.

The Steamdeck needs to be light enough to be held while playing. By necessity, it will have a smaller battery and cooling solution.

Still, on TSMC 6nm, these chips will use less power than what Intel is offering.