Discussion Cases with motherboard outputs oriented to top?

amundsen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hello,

My current assembly is in a Sharkoon QB One. I would like to build a new computer inside a smaller case, probably with watercooling/AIO. The QB One has a big asset, that is four USB connectors on the front. It seems that only a few models have this feature. However I have figured out that with a case in which the outputs of the motherboard are oriented to the top this could be a solution for a direct access to more USB connectors. I only know about two cases offering this possibility:
However both are too much on the high volume side and the Alice seems a bit fragile to be transported in a bag with its fabrics cover.

Do you know about other models or should I go DIY?

Frung

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Silverstone Fortress FT-03 and FT-03 mini, though they are quite old models. Maybe you like them nevertheless, got a black mATX one myself.

Also your QB One would be easily converted into a standing case with some custom feet on the front panel (2 cm or more), doesn't even have to be a permanent solution, you even get to keep all of the upper panel as lower front connections then.

Reactions: amundsen

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Hello,

My current assembly is in a Sharkoon QB One. I would like to build a new computer inside a smaller case, probably with watercooling/AIO. The QB One has a big asset, that is four USB connectors on the front. It seems that only a few models have this feature. However I have figured out that with a case in which the outputs of the motherboard are oriented to the top this could be a solution for a direct access to more USB connectors. I only know about two cases offering this possibility:
However both are too much on the high volume side and the Alice seems a bit fragile to be transported in a bag with its fabrics cover.

Do you know about other models or should I go DIY?
Have you looked at the XTIA? See https://www.xtia.com.cn/ I have had an air cooled xtia system on my desk for several months and think it is great.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I would advise against cases with such orientation, since most GPU's will have much worse temps than in any other orientation. Something to consider, but not an issue if you will watercool your GPU of course.

amundsen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Mhhhh, the Xtia is a totally open case, which I prefer to avoid also (for transportation first and foremost). I like the Silverstone FT03 but the plastic parts make it looking a bit cheap. Actually Silverstone appear to have other models with this configuration: CS-01, CS01-HS, as well as the LD03 and LD03-AF, considered as successors to the FT03. The design of the latter ones is good but the panels are in glass, which I don’t like.

amundsen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
I would advise against cases with such orientation, since most GPU's will have much worse temps than in any other orientation. Something to consider, but not an issue if you will watercool your GPU of course.
I am not sure if I will get a GPU. I am in audio and my current setup uses the Intel integrated graphics successfully. However this could be an issue if I switch to AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I am not sure if I will get a GPU. I am in audio and my current setup uses the Intel integrated graphics successfully. However this could be an issue if I switch to AMD.

AMD has some APUs launching soon, 5600G and 5700G, there are already some reviews so you can check them out. They have less cache though than normal Zen3 cpu's, but have stronger igpu's

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I've just discovered these cases from Aklla : A5 and A5 Max.
There is a related thread here:-

Last edited by a moderator:

amundsen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Also in this category:
  • Sliger SV590 and SV540.
  • DarkFlash DLH21 (but I don’t see the point on orienting the outputs to the top if they must go through a single opening on a side). Also I couldn’t find the company’s website.
  • Velka V5 and V7 but there is some confusion as how the motherboard is oriented in these cases. On Velka’s website the V5 is displayed with outputs on the side whereas I’ve seen at least two pictures of users having their outputs facing top side. Maybe are there different versions/ways to assemble?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
  • DarkFlash DLH21 (but I don’t see the point on orienting the outputs to the top if they must go through a single opening on a side). Also I couldn’t find the company’s website.
Aigo Yugo S1 (in China market) = Darkflash DLH21 (in market outside China).
Aigo Yugo S1 is available through Taobao or jd.com (https://item.jd.com/100015885304.ht...109&utm_term=d7f4d1e67d704328a27d8584c6066668).
The DarkFlash version is available thru Aliexpress (for international market) here:-

amundsen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
  • Velka V5 and V7 but there is some confusion as how the motherboard is oriented in these cases. On Velka’s website the V5 is displayed with outputs on the side whereas I’ve seen at least two pictures of users having their outputs facing top side. Maybe are there different versions/ways to assemble?
Since revision 2.0, Velka 5 and Velka 7 both have all outputs on the rear instead of top.