ITX case good for high air flow?

Vacant0mens

Case Bender
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
Looking for an ITX case that has good air flow (enough for a little overclocking headroom for Ryzen), doesn't have the GPU too close to the side (like maybe 3-slot support), and a glass side panel/window. Support for 240mm+ rad/s would be nice, but I might air cool everything too so about 80mm+ of space above the CPU would be nice as well. I'm looking for something under $100, but $150 isn't out of the question if it fits the requirements.

I'm looking to make a <$1k build, so custom water pipes and pumps are out, but AIO's or air coolers aren't.

Coolermaster Q300L is okay, but doesn't have good air flow, and I'm not sure if it's small enough.
Thermaltake Core P1 looks great, but I'm not a huge fan of the open-air style.
Thermaltake Core X1 seems solid, but I don't like acrylic panels (durability is important), and cable management is not good.
Phanteks Evolv Shift comes close, but air flow doesn't seem good, and you can't see the front of the GPU unless you get a custom riser cable.
Metallic Gear Neo G (specifically the MG-NE210G model) looks awesome and might fit all my requirements, but I haven't researched it enough, and I'm not sure what the size is like. I do like the convenience of the full size PSU (as opposed to SFX), and I love the vertical GPU layout, but like I said, I don't know a lot about the case.
Slinger SM650 would be great, but it's a bit pricey and I would like to be able to see the motherboard through the glass.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Depends on if you can stand the size of the Metallic Gear, it is 25l which puts it outside of what most here consider SFF. It is probably the best case for all the things you are looking for, maybe @Nanook can tell you more about it since he has done a build in one.

Reactions: Nanook

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
I got a Phantek Evolv ITX case and in terms of overclocking/temperature, it does a good job. Compared to my Fractal R5 the only difference is that my CPU runs 5-10C warmer with the same OC settings. The GPU temps haven't changed from what I remember.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Looking for an ITX case that has good air flow (enough for a little overclocking headroom for Ryzen), doesn't have the GPU too close to the side (like maybe 3-slot support), and a glass side panel/window. Support for 240mm+ rad/s would be nice, but I might air cool everything too so about 80mm+ of space above the CPU would be nice as well. I'm looking for something under $100, but $150 isn't out of the question if it fits the requirements.

I'm looking to make a <$1k build, so custom water pipes and pumps are out, but AIO's or air coolers aren't.

Coolermaster Q300L is okay, but doesn't have good air flow, and I'm not sure if it's small enough.
Thermaltake Core P1 looks great, but I'm not a huge fan of the open-air style.
Thermaltake Core X1 seems solid, but I don't like acrylic panels (durability is important), and cable management is not good.
Phanteks Evolv Shift comes close, but air flow doesn't seem good, and you can't see the front of the GPU unless you get a custom riser cable.
Metallic Gear Neo G (specifically the MG-NE210G model) looks awesome and might fit all my requirements, but I haven't researched it enough, and I'm not sure what the size is like. I do like the convenience of the full size PSU (as opposed to SFX), and I love the vertical GPU layout, but like I said, I don't know a lot about the case.
Slinger SM650 would be great, but it's a bit pricey and I would like to be able to see the motherboard through the glass.

Any other suggestions?
The Metallic Gear Neo Mini is pretty large, and is mostly empty when air cooling. I had the metal front version. Airflow is ok - I had the maximum number of case fans in there (seven), plus 2 that were on the NH-U12A cooler, and it kept the 9900K (215w) and 2080ti relatively cool.

The Neo G mini that you’re looking at looks very cool. But the vertical gpu will run warmer due to having the solid glass in front of it.

The Evolv Shift meets your requirement, and looks very cool. However airflow is very poor in the Shift. The best cpu cooling would be a 120mm AIO. Maybe the announced mesh sides would work with an air cooler 80mm and shorter (L12S, AXP-200, etc). An AIO hybrid cooler would also help the GPU, as the GPU is ask starved for airflow.

My favorite case is still the NCase M1, and there’s supposed to be a v6 coming out later this year. Little bit more expensive, but totally worth it IMO.

Based on your preferences on price, no-acrylic, the only recommendation I have is the Cougar QBX. It’s not expensive, and has a tall cpu cooler space. I have the Kaze version that is all meshed out instead of the plastic covers. Looks goofier than the plastic covers, but it’s a decent case for the money.

Vacant0mens

Case Bender
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
I do like the Evolv Shift, but like we both said, airflow isn't awesome. If that divider/cable channel in the middle was better vented, or they made the case slightly wider to allow cables through behind the motherboard, that would open up the airflow a lot.

I mostly mentioned triple slot support because of the air flow. I won't actually have a triple slot card, it's just painful when I see really nice looking SFF cases where the GPU fans are almost brushing up against the glass, or there aren't any good vents on the side panel. Thermal throttle much?

I know the Neo G Mini isn't exactly in the SFF category (about double the average size I'm seeing around here), but it seems like the best option for my requirements presently. I'll definitely still take suggestions though because I'm still working on choosing parts and timing with sales and price drops for after Zen 2 releases. Lots of unknowns on that front.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I do like the Evolv Shift, but like we both said, airflow isn't awesome. If that divider/cable channel in the middle was better vented, or they made the case slightly wider to allow cables through behind the motherboard, that would open up the airflow a lot.

I mostly mentioned triple slot support because of the air flow. I won't actually have a triple slot card, it's just painful when I see really nice looking SFF cases where the GPU fans are almost brushing up against the glass, or there aren't any good vents on the side panel. Thermal throttle much?

I know the Neo G Mini isn't exactly in the SFF category (about double the average size I'm seeing around here), but it seems like the best option for my requirements presently. I'll definitely still take suggestions though because I'm still working on choosing parts and timing with sales and price drops for after Zen 2 releases. Lots of unknowns on that front.
Seems like you’ve done your research. :)
By the way, the regular Neo Mini cools the GPU better with two slim bottom fans. It would be better at cooling the GPU than the Neo G Mini vertical GPU.

Last edited:

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
was gonna mention sliger until i saw your budget. the evolve shift is supposed to get new vented sides though so that might be an option.

edit: the Steck is also an option

Last edited:

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
... Any other suggestions?

There are a few air cooling concepts that do not get much press. For example check out the fan shroud that I built into my i9-9900K Phase 1 project case. That design flows enough air that I stuffed it into a modded Phanteks Evolve Shift after sectioning 4” out of the Evolve’s height.

Check it out here:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...air-cooled-abs-prototype-mini-itx-case.10495/

Anyway, if you are handy with tools and like to noodle out solutions, then I advise you to build your own case or at a minimum mod a case to build what you want.

Neil