Advice Case suggestions that look good and don't break the bank

lekorrigan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Hello! I'm currently looking for options for my next build, my current PC (an HTPC in an Antec ISK 310-150 case, no GPU) is 7-8 years old and really needs a refresh, especially as the kids are growing and 1) are giving me a bit of time to play games, 2) are keen to play too! So I'd like to build a mid-range everyday + gaming SFF PC.

I know I want a mITX motherboard, and I have a good idea what sort of components I want: roughly Core i5 9th/10th gen or AMD equivalent, 16GB RAM, a single 1TB M2 stick, and a GPU of the GTX 1660 family or equivalent (happy to have a short one if needed). No need for 2.5" / 3.5" drives.

I'm struggling more to identify a case (and therefore cooling). Ideally I would like:
  • Under $100
  • Not too big (definitely under 20 litres - I live in a small place, with a partner who doesn't like the sight of computers).
  • Not spending a ton on cooling - keeping it simple.
  • If possible, relatively quiet (my current PC's whining fans are driving us crazy whenever a Youtube video is full screen!)
  • If possible, good looking, i.e. not a black cube (sorry SG13...).
So far I have identified the following:
  • Raijintek Metis / Metis Plus. I really like the choices of colours, I have seen many nice builds. Not a big fan of the transparent window (would prefer a mesh cover). But apparently it suffers from poor airflow?
  • Fractal Design Node 202. Simple and discreet, but apparently poor airflow too?
  • Silverstone ML09 / ML08. Not particularly attractive design but they would be "good enough".
  • There's many I like but which are beyond my budget, like Fractal Design Era ITX, Evolv Shift Air...
So my question is, any other recommendations please?
Thank you!

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
Have you looked at the GEEEK cases? They come flat packed and you have to assemble them ikea-style, but if you like the look, they are probably the cheapest sandwich case you can get.

Another option is the CM NR200. It is newly released, but has been very popular and offers a lot of customization.

Reactions: lekorrigan

lekorrigan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Thank you! The NR200 feels more bulky, but I like the Geeek ones! They are closer to the top end of my price range with shipping and customs, but I'll keep an eye on them.
I still like the Metis / Metis Plus, so I'm curious if there are tips to keep it decently cool and decently quiet?
Thanks

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thank you! The NR200 feels more bulky, but I like the Geeek ones! They are closer to the top end of my price range with shipping and customs, but I'll keep an eye on them.
I still like the Metis / Metis Plus, so I'm curious if there are tips to keep it decently cool and decently quiet?
Thanks
I owned a Metis and while an interesting case they are really bad for thermals. They are just not deisgned to be able to expel the hot air from the case.

AstronaughtSloth

Efficiency Noob
Jan 10, 2016
As far as the node 202 goes, thermals are not great specifically on the cpu side. I've got a Ryzen 5 3600 and even with a Thermalright AXP-90r, my temps were idling around ~52°C. However! There's a nice affordable fix that has allowed me to get my idle temps to ~40°C. I purchased two of these 50mm fans and a fan splitter, and installed them to the inside of the top ventilation of the CPU chamber (pictured below). These two little fans help kick out a ton of heat.

Naturally they're not the most quiet, but if you sprung an extra ~$10 you could get these Noctua's instead and they would be much quieter, controllable, and pump out even more air. In fact, I'm kicking myself because I should have just done that instead lol I just really didn't want the brown fan's ruining the aesthetic.

On the GPU side of things, the node 202 has been great. I currently have an overclocked EVGA 2060 XC Ultra and it idles at ~41°C. Under full load at 2010mhz, my temps don't go above 60°C. No extra case fans either.

The one caveat I would give is that if you wanted to install extra case fans in the GPU bay, they're are slots and it is easy; however, you have to remove the gpu support bracket and it leaves your gpu just kind of hanging. I'm currently researching solutions for that just because I'd like to install some ARGB fans there for aesthetics.

Anyways hope that helps!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Let's see..

Console / Slim Tower style: Silverstone Raven RVZ02 or 03.
Shoebox style: Silverstone SG13 (although thermal is not exactly the best, unless you do some modification)
Cougar QBX: similar layout with Ncase

lekorrigan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
As far as the node 202 goes, thermals are not great specifically on the cpu side. I've got a Ryzen 5 3600 and even with a Thermalright AXP-90r, my temps were idling around ~52°C. However! There's a nice affordable fix that has allowed me to get my idle temps to ~40°C. I purchased two of these 50mm fans and a fan splitter, and installed them to the inside of the top ventilation of the CPU chamber (pictured below). These two little fans help kick out a ton of heat.

Naturally they're not the most quiet, but if you sprung an extra ~$10 you could get these Noctua's instead and they would be much quieter, controllable, and pump out even more air. In fact, I'm kicking myself because I should have just done that instead lol I just really didn't want the brown fan's ruining the aesthetic.

On the GPU side of things, the node 202 has been great. I currently have an overclocked EVGA 2060 XC Ultra and it idles at ~41°C. Under full load at 2010mhz, my temps don't go above 60°C. No extra case fans either.

The one caveat I would give is that if you wanted to install extra case fans in the GPU bay, they're are slots and it is easy; however, you have to remove the gpu support bracket and it leaves your gpu just kind of hanging. I'm currently researching solutions for that just because I'd like to install some ARGB fans there for aesthetics.

Anyways hope that helps!
Thanks, that's very helpful! I understand that your case fans are set as exhaust, then.

lekorrigan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Shoebox style: Silverstone SG13 (although thermal is not exactly the best, unless you do some modification)

Hi, I am considering the SG13 in the end (found a great used one for a bargain)! Can I ask you which modifications you are talking about? I have seen some build that add a side exhaust fan, not sure if this is what you meant. Thanks!