Discussion Can't Enter Bios ASUS z690i

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I've completed a few builds in the past 4 years, I'm fairly new at this since I don't do it all the time so I always proceed with caution. Just completed a new build & fired up for the first time, everything came on, so far so good. However when the main screen came on with all the pertinent information, it showed the motherboard, cpu, memory, keyboard, mouse, & said to press F1 to run setup. I want to enter bios to see what temps were before moving forward with Windows 11 install. I pressed F1 & could not enter bios. When I powered on it never prompted me to hit F1 or Delete key to enter bios at the bottom of the screen either, maybe this only appears after Windows 11 is installed? I only have a wireless keyboard to work with at the moment but as you can see it does show up w/mouse & other pertinent information.

Is there another way to enter the bios? What am I doing incorrectly? Need some help here so all advice would be helpful. Thanks for reading.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
You don't need an OS installed to enter BIOS. Your monitor may not be receiving the input yet when the screen pops up with the "press 'x' to enter BIOS", right after you hit the power button just spam the delete or F11 button until it brings you into the BIOS.

Reactions: Jp42nca and rfarmer

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Yes, there is another way. If fast-boot is turned on (for what reasons, I have no idea, especially if using an SSD or NVME SSD, you may have trouble entering the bios.
Looking at temps in the bios is not good practice as Speed-Step does not work at the bios level. Processors at bios level will run full speed (not turbo) so you will not have a base idea of temps with no-load until the operating system and drivers are loaded. F2 key or delete must be held down or multi-punched upon start-up and not with a wireless keyboard. You can also enter the bios from a Windows Flash driver installer by using Troubleshooting rather than installing. There are two locations for Fast-boot to be toggled off, The Bios, and Power Options, in Settings under the Control Panel in Windows. In my opinion with current drive technology Fast Boot is not needed, unless for some reason you are using a Stone Age Platter Drive for booting.
Under Windows you can use this method to get to Troubleshooting, Hold the shift key down at the lock screen then restart with it held this should take you to the Advanced Startup Screen and you enter the bios as one of the options.
6 ways to enter Bios

Reactions: Jp42nca

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Yes, there is another way. If fast-boot is turned on (for what reasons, I have no idea, especially if using an SSD or NVME SSD, you may have trouble entering the bios.
Looking at temps in the bios is not good practice as Speed-Step does not work at the bios level. Processors at bios level will run full speed (not turbo) so you will not have a base idea of temps with no-load until the operating system and drivers are loaded. F2 key or delete must be held down or multi-punched upon start-up and not with a wireless keyboard. You can also enter the bios from a Windows Flash driver installer by using Troubleshooting rather than installing. There are two locations for Fast-boot to be toggled off, The Bios, and Power Options, in Settings under the Control Panel in Windows. In my opinion with current drive technology Fast Boot is not needed, unless for some reason you are using a Stone Age Platter Drive for booting.
Under Windows you can use this method to get to Troubleshooting, Hold the shift key down at the lock screen then restart with it held this should take you to the Advanced Startup Screen and you enter the bios as one of the options.
6 ways to enter Bios
Thank you for your response, you are always a wealth of information and helped me many times in the past. I just ordered a wired keyboard from Amazon and will be here hopefully Saturday, Monday at the latest. I posted on other forums as well & someone who had a similar experience mentioned the keyboard.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Don't use a wireless keyboard, it might not be active at the point you want to enter BIOS. Get a plain USB kb.
I have heard that a few times already & ordered a wired kb, should be here Saturday or Monday. Thanks for responding to my post.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
You don't need an OS installed to enter BIOS. Your monitor may not be receiving the input yet when the screen pops up with the "press 'x' to enter BIOS", right after you hit the power button just spam the delete or F11 button until it brings you into the BIOS.
Thanks, I've also been told that my kb needs to be wired & won't work with wireless kb. It isn't connected whereas a wired kb is so I'm starting there, ordered a wired kb & should be here this weekend...I hope.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
Thanks, I've also been told that my kb needs to be wired & won't work with wireless kb. It isn't connected whereas a wired kb is so I'm starting there, ordered a wired kb & should be here this weekend...I hope.
Possibly the case for some wireless keyboards, specifically if it's bluetooth. However, I can tell you from experience that most 2.4GHz wireless keyboards will have no issues entering BIOS.

Reactions: Jp42nca and rfarmer

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Possibly the case for some wireless keyboards, specifically if it's bluetooth. However, I can tell you from experience that most 2.4GHz wireless keyboards will have no issues entering BIOS.

In my case it did make a difference & the keyboard & mouse combo I have does say 2.4GHZ wireless. My wired keyboard & mouse came in yesterday, when I plugged it in I was able to enter bios with no issues. Guess not all keyboards are the same, shouldn't make a difference but in my case it did. That's interesting 🤔

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
In my case it did make a difference & the keyboard & mouse combo I have does say 2.4GHZ wireless. My wired keyboard & mouse came in yesterday, when I plugged it in I was able to enter bios with no issues. Guess not all keyboards are the same, shouldn't make a difference but in my case it did. That's interesting 🤔

Thanks for the info.
What keyboard was it? Just curious so I can put it on my "do not buy" list.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Thanks for the info.
What keyboard was it? Just curious so I can put it on my "do not buy" list.
My wife purchased it on Amazon due to being wireless, white, 9,482 4.5 Star review, & long battery life. Brand/Vendor is Vssoplor.

Amazon Search:

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Vssoplor 2.4GHz Rechargeable Compact Quiet Full-Size Keyboard and Mouse Combo with Nano USB Receiver for Windows, Laptop, PC, Notebook-White Silver​

It's actually a nice keyboard for office work, wouldn't use it for gaming if that's what you're into.

On another note maybe you can help me trouble shoot an issue I'm having with my new build. I did get into the bios to set fan curves (ASUS Z690i) & all info that shows up in EZ-Mode is correct, MB, cpu, speed, ram, etc... I only installed 1 NVME at this time, no other storage devices. Storage Information shows my NVME Samsung SSD 990 Pro 1TB but Boot Priority is empty, no info just blank. Says choose one and drag the item. I click F8 for Boot Memory & it says "The system cannot find any bootable devices"

Any idea as to why? Is there another tab that needs to be clicked on in order for the Boot Priority to recognize the NVME device?......Your thoughts. What's confusing is it does show the 1TB NVME under Storage Information so it should automatically input it to Boot Priority.