Building your own CPU cooler?

Kyuss

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Hello,

I have been looking for information about building a CPU cooler with heatpipes. I have found these to buy, but no more info about putting all together.

I am exploring a new concept but I need a CPU cooler that doesn't exist. If someone give some advice about this, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've done this. Very expensive and not easy to do. Try watching Linus' janky heatsink videos to give you an idea of what might be involved. Happy to offer insight about the process I went through if you want specifics.

Reactions: Kyuss

Kyuss

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Thank you very much!
I'm thinking about machining an extruded aluminium heatsink without the heatpipes and see if this could be acceptable to me.

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Hey @Kmpkt !

I'd quite like the insight in the process too if you want to take the time to tell us. I'm a machinist of profession, so I don't believe manufacturing would be a problem, and I've even bought a couple of heatpipes for testing.

Unfortunately that's all I've done, because WC seemed like the smarter solution in my case overall, and the project has completely stalled.

Best regards. :)

lambino

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2019
I've done this. Very expensive and not easy to do. Try watching Linus' janky heatsink videos to give you an idea of what might be involved. Happy to offer insight about the process I went through if you want specifics.

Seconded on those insights! I've bought a couple of copper heat pipes and aluminum fin stacks, just need to machine the evaporator block and bend the pipes. I think I understand how to attach the heat pipes to the block (solder for copper to copper, braze aluminum to copper, potentially need to nickel plate?). What I'm really wondering about is how to install the heatpipes in the fin stacks. Here's a link to the part:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32237157718.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.4e092e0e0O7xMS