confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Firstly, a clarification. This is a guide written by a n00b, not a guide for n00bs. I am in no way an expert in networking, storage or servers.

With Small Form Factor Network’s foray into video media (Namely YouTube) this year, I have realised the importance of having large amounts of storage. Until now, I have been living my (digital) life on a single 240GB OCZ Trion SSD, with backups made to SD media and flash drives… because? why not.

Read more here.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
I started off with using old parts as well.
Coincidentally, NAS4free with a E8400 but on a P35 ATX board. I wasn't happy with the undervolted power consumption with 1 hdd idling at 95w so I bought a new FM2 system.
An asrock a88x itx paired with a4 4000. I had saw someone with that configuration idling at 26watts, but I after I got the system, the wattage was nowhere near that (~60w) so I switched shortly after.

Next up was low power focused, so I used an AMD AM1 socket board. idle power as at around 25-30w with 2 hdds.
Single 3TB drive rsynced to another 3TB drive.

After one of the hdds suddenly failed, I sortof panicked and got a new system with ECC ram support.
ASRockRack E3C226D2I with a pentium G1840. Its runs in a 3x3TB RAIDZ1(raid5) configuration with 2 additional hdds as backup.

My next step is to wait for the 6TB drives to come down in price.

btw tsk, another failed project with the jonsbo C2 :(

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The Jonsbo/board/Core2Duo are now serving as my HTPC, courtesy of using the one working SATA channel..

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I also have a Jonsbo C2 and am using it for a NAS. Originally I wanted to put my q9550 and P5G41T-M board in it but it didn't fit if using the front mounted drive bracket, so I changed to an Asock B95M-DGS (yes, b95 not 85) and a celeron g1640. I think in a small case like the jonsbo heat is the biggest problem.

I had previously tried using a B85N and g1640 in a Reallan e-w150 but it overheated after about 30 minutes, neat idea for a case but no way to exhaust the heat.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
The Jonsbo/board/Core2Duo are now serving as my HTPC, courtesy of using the one working SATA channel..
So what are your plans for you NAS system now? Your article says part 1 so I'm assuming there's a part 2?

I also have a Jonsbo C2 and am using it for a NAS. Originally I wanted to put my q9550 and P5G41T-M board in it but it didn't fit if using the front mounted drive bracket, so I changed to an Asock B95M-DGS (yes, b95 not 85) and a celeron g1640. I think in a small case like the jonsbo heat is the biggest problem.

I had previously tried using a B85N and g1640 in a Reallan e-w150 but it overheated after about 30 minutes, neat idea for a case but no way to exhaust the heat.

Care to post your jonsbo build?
Mine is here

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Sure, I'll add it later today after I get some pics of the inside. I didn't use all of Confusis suggestions because I am lazy :) - I tried to use the G3258 but my board doesnt support overclocking on it so I stuck with the G1840.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
New plans? New hardware setup, new case, and maybe ZFS :p

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
For a NAS, I'd say that ECC support is mandatory, especially if you intend to use ZFS. For the current 50GB drives RAID5/RAID-Z1(single parity) is fine, but if the switch were made to 3TB+ drives then RAID6/RAID-V2 would be highly recommended. With the UBER (Unrecoverable Bit Error Rate) for reading being 1 in 1x10^14 for consumer drives, or roughly one in 11 Terabytes of reading. For example; if you have a 5-drive RAID5 array, lose one drive, and try and rebuild the array from the remaining 4 drives without parity, you have 12TB of drive to scrub through.