Log Black and Tan: A Crime of PC Fashion -- Vintage Radio Hotrod 'Sleeper' PC

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
TS can use something like a hard mesh, or a fabric supported by some metal frames, or perforated wood panels. That way the innards will be still partially visible.

From someone who has children: it's good to cover > $500 fittings to prevent accidental damages 😄

Reactions: Valantar

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
TS can use something like a hard mesh, or a fabric supported by some metal frames, or perforated wood panels. That way the innards will be still partially visible.

From someone who has children: it's good to cover > $500 fittings to prevent accidental damages 😄
You make a great point, but the exposed back is my favorite part :(

Reactions: ignsvn

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
This is a dope build. One positive thing about it is that it probably wouldn't get stolen.
Thanks!
My favorite comment this build has gotten was something along the lines of:
"Damn, next time I break into someone's house I'm gonna have to steal everything just in case it turns out to be a computer."

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
Took some time recently to take some better quality photos of the finished build.
Now I am by no means a skilled photographer, I just cleaned off the workbench, replaced my worn out cutting mat and improved the lighting a bit.
This thread started off with some decent photos so it's only right that I add some after the work that's gone in.

Messed around with some low angle shots

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
A quick(ish) but important update on the build:

A little over a month ago I was able to accomplish a goal I had set out for since I started building PCs and that was to get a PCPartpicker feature.

As far as the build itself goes.....well, my passion for tinkering got the best of me again so it is currently under the knife....again.

Long story short, I stumbled across a radio that truly fits my dream aesthetic for this build and I just couldn't turn down the opportunity to create the build how I've always envisioned it.
Here is a teaser of the new shell
It is a Soundesign 2660. I was able to find a used one on ebay in non-working condition, perfect for my future plans.

The next build will have mostly the same hardware but I will create a separate thread for it once I've gathered some progress to share.
Thanks for everyone that has followed along with this build, it was an absolute blast to build and learn from 🥲

Last edited: