Bitcoin and other Crypto Currency discussion thread

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I am sad, but I am also grateful. I paid $430 for my GTX 1080 last summer and I sold it for $700 last month. Shortselling GPUs to these shortsighted cryptocurrency fanatics has been wonderfully profitable. Looking ahead, GDDR6 will soon be here in next-gen cards while DDR4 prices are at epic history highs. As soon as the demand drops and supply surges from the off-loading, the fun begins. My opinion: the perfect storm for a market correction is right on our doorsteps when we will see bargain bin prices across the board. Thanks, miners, despite the momentary agony, for making this all possible.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
There will be cards selling for bargain prices but just how many people would not mind buying an used card which has been stressed 24/7 for an extended period of time (measured in months, not in hours)?
I would not buy one for sure. When the mining bubble bursts and prices return to normal, I think it is a good time to buy new cards. Due to this mining craziness, even some local store owners get tricky and greedy. 'Rumor' says some use their inventory to mine and then they plan to repackage the cards back into the box and sell as new when the bubble bursts. There seems no way to tell as the anti-static bag storing a card is not factory sealed. So, beware of this and do not buy from non reputable stores.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
My plan is to buy EVGA cards that are former miners. Given the beefy warranties they offer and the fact that nothing about mining voids warranty, they should be a pretty safe bet. If they go tits up, a quick RMA should solve the problem.

Mar 6, 2017

Prices are finally coming down!

Last edited:

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016

Prices are finally coming down!
Your image is broken.

In other news, ill be buying miner cards when the big dumps happen. The cards are still under warranty, so even if they die on me they can be replaced. And with that a lot of miners under volt their cards anyways to lower energy costs and keep their ROI higher. I see no issue with buying a miner card for a lot less.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Personally, a warranty does not make it for me as I usually keep a graphics card well past its warranty life. I still have a working 7800GT (all cleaned up and stored) that I bought new back in 2005. It ranks very low in my inventory of backup cards though.:)

Reactions: Biowarejak

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
In other news, ill be buying miner cards when the big dumps happen. The cards are still under warranty, so even if they die on me they can be replaced. And with that a lot of miners under volt their cards anyways to lower energy costs and keep their ROI higher. I see no issue with buying a miner card for a lot less.

What you really should do is buy cards as miners dump them, then gouge miners for them when crypto rebounds. ;)

themattytacoboy

Efficiency Noob
Feb 22, 2018
So, I don't see prices going down yet. I've been looking at picking up a 1050ti and they're still well over $200 easy and close to $300 new. My 980ti that I bought about 6 months ago for $350 is worth like $500 right now and even though crypto prices have been fluctuating, they are still well generally doing very well (mid Nov. ETH hovered at $300. Right now it's averaging around $840).

I feel like the steps Microcenter is taking to sell gamers GPU's specifically is a good first step, but there is no one really following their lead. I keep waiting, but dang is it annoying to not be able to buy something at or near MSRP.

Reactions: Biowarejak

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
I was just in Asia and the shelves in Taipei were chock full of GPUs. Saw a 3GB 1060 for $210, 6GB 1060 for $300 (RX 580 8G for about $300 as well, 570 only marginally cheaper around $280). I don't know if it's a sign of increased supply, just a local thing (electricity isn't too expensive but cooling and space are factors) - historically/typically PC components in Taipei are about 10% more than US pricing. In Japan, mining cards are still overpriced (eg $500+ for RX 580s, $400 for a 1060 6G), but you can get a 1050Ti for about $170 which seems reasonable - still a higher price than an RX 470 I bought last year, mind you). Tokyo component prices have been historically about 20% higher than in the US.

It's a bit surprising to see prices still so elevated, but it looks like board manufacturers are slowly ramping up to meet demand ($450 on Amazon to buy a 1060 6G right now, or you can order one shipping in mid-March for $360)...

(I've done some hobby mining since 2016, mainly to see what it's all about - IMO most people grossly underestimate how increasing difficulty and other factors impact their ROI, and it's very unlikely that they'd be able to make more mining just straight out buying cryptos. My electricity is hydro based so it's been nice that my GPU upgrades pay for themselves.)

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
At least they're all large form factor cards. Would cry a bit if they were all Zotac 1080 minis D:

Reactions: Phuncz