Bitcoin and other Crypto Currency discussion thread

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd be more worried about the fans though, if they're not made with a long-lasting bearing. So there will be brands or models that'll be more (or less) prone to have issues with the fans.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So you're saying the card gets better the more it mines?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Has anyone tried HDD mining yet? Ive got a few 8tb easystores sitting around doing nothing and im debating on giving it ago. Its roughly 1 burstcoin per TB per day so while its not that great (0.05 USD / TB / day) I have a few of them and could pull in a few bucks every day with no effort and pretty minimal power usage. Was just wondering if anyone else does the HDD plotting/mining thing.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

wiski

Cable Smoosher
Jan 24, 2018
If you're a miner/investor, sorry.. but Yay! Ethereum is slipping today! Down 20%, from $1K to $800. Hope it continues. A nice slide down to $300 would be greaaaaaaat. Let those miners release those cards back into the wild.

Not sure I would want a card that's been used for mining, I'd settle for miners not buying new cards so other people get a chance at them.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I won't get excited until the GPU dump happens.
There are already cards being sold, but not yet dumped. It'll take a while longer of this to remain but the fear I have is that this bubble is still believed to be sustainable even though most will drop out when they realise they are the bubble.

zanduh

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2018
There are already cards being sold, but not yet dumped. It'll take a while longer of this to remain but the fear I have is that this bubble is still believed to be sustainable even though most will drop out when they realise they are the bubble.
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that all the sites telling people to remain calm and now is the time to buy before the next spike are just trying to unload to the gullible

Reactions: Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that all the sites telling people to remain calm and now is the time to buy before the next spike are just trying to unload to the gullible
Same could be said for the calls of doom and gloom trying to shake loose cheap GPUs for the larger mining entities to buy up.

Reactions: Phuncz

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Exactly. There's nothing on a GPU that can 'wear down', either it works or it's dead.

As far as I am aware, not a single test has shown any evidence of performance degradation over time (due to mining or anything else) in GPUs, once the variable of drying thermal paste is removed.

I believe this, as I do most things you say, honored one.

At the same time my superstitions run deep, and I have seen the insane power draw and heat that occurs on a card when its mining--especially thermal images of the memory modules....I don't understand how some algos stress a card soooo much more than any other synthetic torture test.

I don't know if I would be so bothered by ultra high end cards as they usually have good memory cooling solutions...but many cards used for mining just use air cooling with no heatsink contact on the memory. I've killed cards and I've had plenty of friends/acquaintances/customers kill cards by frying the memory, so I am a bit superstitious.

But I am a country bumpkin and superstitions run deep! XD