Discussion Big Navi long game

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
Original poster
May 15, 2020
Wondering if anyone thinks big Navi (6800/6900xt) will age well, I.e. looking at previous amd cards, like rx480 for instance, performance of them for much better from what I understand with the newer drivers and such over the first year.
do we think similar will happen with the big Navi cards? Or is day one performance if day the 6900xt as good as it gets? There isn’t any more in the tank, drivers and such are not going to provide a say 5% boost in performance by some magic?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Can't say for sure, but r9 390, rx480, vega56/64, rx5700xt all got better compared to their Nvidia counterparts over the years (and cheaper at the start). It could be driver improvements, or games getting better at utilizing raw power.

Reactions: DrLeroy

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I think the so-called 'fine-wine' will continue. the theoretical maximum performance of the cards has always been there from the start but AMD launch drivers have been so piss-poor that it ties 1 arm behind its back. so comparing 6800/6900XT at launch vs 1-2 years down the line you will see improvements.

comparatively versus Ampere is a different story, very much dependent on AMD's equivalent of DLSS whether that could close any gaps. Just looking at RTX ON in Cyberpunk 2077 and it does not look promising for RNDA2

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I think the so-called 'fine-wine' will continue. the theoretical maximum performance of the cards has always been there from the start but AMD launch drivers have been so piss-poor that it ties 1 arm behind its back. so comparing 6800/6900XT at launch vs 1-2 years down the line you will see improvements.

comparatively versus Ampere is a different story, very much dependent on AMD's equivalent of DLSS whether that could close any gaps. Just looking at RTX ON in Cyberpunk 2077 and it does not look promising for RNDA2

Yeah, Ampere is very compute oriented arch, so could be different this time.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

To be fair to AMD here....

When NVidia made hay about their first gen RTX and DLSS....it SUCKED. DLSS was a blotchy ugly mess; and for all the PR Nvidia hawked about RTX, absolutely nothing supported it. A year later when titles appeared that supported it--it tanked performance, absolutely tanked it. Fast forward a generation and a couple years, and DLSS2 is pretty darn good looking--and RTX actually has a few games that support RTX and some of them you might even want to play. I think the total RT supporting titles out there--even now--is maybe all of 2x dozen?

The point...AMD is in their first gen RT hardware and DLSS. TBH, it is amazing it works as well as it does. Ampere cranked up the performance of Turing almost as many percent as the power draw.

Hopefully in a couple years, we'll be looking back going WTF at the power draws for performance the same way today welook at dual-GPU monster cards today like the NVidia 295 or the Radeon 3870x2

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Just waiting for the Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT Special Edition to come back in stock at a more reasonable price...!

Reactions: DrLeroy

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
Original poster
May 15, 2020
Hopefully, we get some big Navi performance uplifts then as time goes on, Managed to get myself a 6900xt reference card to upgrade my 1080ti, so pretty stoked to be back on an AMD card again.
Ill be hanging out for a gen4 riser for my T1 as well, for now, i have bios locked to gen3 mode to stop random boot fails that I was getting when set to Auto with my gen3 riser cable.

my only current concern is my SF600 gold PSU being able to handle the 6900xt at full load with my 3950x, but we will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman