Cooling Best Low-Profile CPU Cooler on the Market?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Gotta get ready for work, but I will note that in that LTT video they are using a server CPU rather than a typical consumer-grade CPU, I wonder if a smaller chip is able to transfer heat properly to that cooler?

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Yes, you have to mod it to get it to fit a fan. Dondan seemed to recommend this. I know he did some minor testing with a similar cooler here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-a...-in-the-world.1799326/page-55#post-1041652691

Linus used it in a build here and said Dondan recommended it:

It would be nice to have some more testing, but it seems easy enough for me to believe.

That's for a socket 2011 motherboard for broadwell-e, not a typical socket 1151 for skylake and kaby lake.

Dan did some tests on cpu coolers that fit his case:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...ing-case-in-the-world/?page=2#comment-5956319

The Cooltek LP53 w/ noctua 14mm slim fan is only 42mm tall. Someone said the hard limit on an S4 mini was 45mm, so this might be a better cooling solution than an NH-L9i.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordzahl and zovc

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I have an ID-Cooling IS-VC45 (nickel-plated copper vapor chamber with aluminum fins) with a Noctua NF-A9x14 (the ID-Cooling fan that comes with the IS-VC45 works, but is quite noisy), and I must say that it works exceptionally. It is a little pricey at >US$60, but I would put it up there with any of those coolers less than 45mm height as far as performance (acoustics and thermals) goes.
Ahah I noticed I inspired some people with my S4 mini experience with ID cooling IS-VC45+noctua nf-a9x14 on core i7 6700K stock undervolt -0.1v..:) I can just confirm its cooling capabilities...:)

I'll extend my experience on S4 mini with my experience on my last node 202 setup.

1st setup : NFC S4 min #44 core i7 6700K + R9 nano..:)
By just undervolting core i7 6700K by -0.10V I managed to get a stable core i7 6700 stock clock in NFC S4 mini

On OCCT I managed to get around 80°C on cores, with noctua NF-A9x14 fan @ full speed

2nd setup : After I build my NANO² setup, I recycled id-cooling IS-VC45 on my core i7 4770K...where results were not as good as on core i7 6700K (same thermal paste)
As it's in a node 202, I put a full size NF-A9 (25mm) PWM fan on top on the is-vc45 (to improve intake)

HOWEVER, whatever I tried I was completely unable to cool my core i7 4770K stock...really strange..I even believed the cpu cooler broken. I've inquired on this issue, and as far as I've read, issue was linked to the fact that Haswell has a complete different thermal schema (smaller heat spots) that is more difficult to cool than Skylake.
Finally I decided to undervolt and underclocked it, and I reached a WHOPPY 3.1GHz @0.8v on all cores/threads all the time (almost equal one core i5 6500 frequencies..:)) Power status on HWinfo refers to something like 45W on OCCT.
As this level, even on OCCT, CPU was below 60°C on load (pwm control), and fully quiet inside node 202...:D

To conclude, id cooling is-vc45 is, for me, a kick-ass cpu cooler (the best available for NFC S4 mini at least..:)), but its performance could vary depending on the nature on the cpu to cool. For sure on Skylake cpu it's working damn well.

Last edited:

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
[/IMG]

PC cooling ultra budget cooler. only 27mm high, 115x fitting................I used with a non clocked G3258 until the fan got noisy.......cooling OK, nothing remarkable, but very acceptable.

Reactions: ricochet

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016

Aaaaagh,, which link do I choose on Imgur to copy and paste????

Ah that one...................

Anyway fan removed just fine, some dust, and all cooper heatsink, which is nice.

and the intended replacement fan

The slot on the dge with one curved side will play a part in the mounting

Sits well over the raised heatsink sidewalls, fan spins clear and covers whole area of heatsink fins

http://i.imgur.com/CEzYATD.jpg

Last edited:

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016

Note aforementioned slot sitting above original fan mount screws..............Some 3D printing going on which should result in item that will connect the 2 items together in a proper fashion............Then the testing begins.

Note Original fan 75mm, Alpine fan 92mm

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I tried that first, even imgur suggested it, but that is the first fail, The one that works is direct link.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Did you just paste the BBCode directly? Or try to use it within the image code?

Because the BBCode can just be used by itself, just paste it into the post editor.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
My Asus Q87T arrived but it needed signature, so will pick it up at the post office tomorrow. I'm searching for the suitable heatsink, with the lowest profile possible.

I'll be running an Intel core i7-4785T (35W). How is the TT Engine 27 performing ? I can only find reviews using 4770K or 6700K CPU, which sound kinda irrelevant for this kind of CPU cooler.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
My Asus Q87T arrived but it needed signature, so will pick it up at the post office tomorrow. I'm searching for the suitable heatsink, with the lowest profile possible.

I'll be running an Intel core i7-4785T (35W). How is the TT Engine 27 performing ? I can only find reviews using 4770K or 6700K CPU, which sound kinda irrelevant for this kind of CPU cooler.

Well, given the not so flattering reviews elsewhere about the Engine 27, I think I would hesitate to commit to one, and in your case, given what you describe above, I would certainly be looking at this...........http://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/cpu-cooler-slim-silence-i-plus/

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I guess people are scared by maximum noise level of engine 27...
For my personal experience even noctua NF-A9x14 is still noisy at maximum speed..:) What is most important is idle/low charge noise..:)

Reactions: stree

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I guess people are scared by maximum noise level of engine 27...
For my personal experience even noctua NF-A9x14 is still noisy at maximum speed..:) What is most important is idle/low charge noise..:)
Exactly! Great point. My engine is very quiet at low speeds more so than my Noctua 120 mm! Yes, my Cryorig C7 was slightly better but not dramatically so. I may swap the Cryorig back in one day if I find a thin 120 mm case that I like... low noise and good ventilation, which is hard to get.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
And I am perfectly happy with the Silvretta, whereas others here find it uncouth, bad mannered, ugly and noisy.
All our findings, even with scientific data to hand, are at best empirical. Maybe we are attuned to slightly different frequencies, or the acoustics of the enclosures give differing results where the discrepancies in the noise reported are found? The variance in cooling properties could be down to a host of factors, from thermal paste and application technique, to case airflow, ambient temp, and even faulty units and plain just using the unit in the wrong application.
There will always be variables plus preconceptions based on price, brand pedigree and the herd consensus so no two installations or perceived results will be exactly the same, it is only ourselves that can decide if we are happy or not with what we use.
So fair play to the Engine, and by the same token fair play to the subdband budget offerings that actually do a decent job with little fanfare ( ouch, pun )

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Don't understand all the hate??? My engine is performing well on a 54W Skylake Pentium. Update on my TT Engine 27

I don't think it's so much that it doesn't work, or that it's not better than the stock intel heatsink, it's that there are better, less expensive options out there.

Personally i don't like heatsinks with built in fans. I want a heatsink that has a standard format fan on it that can be easily swapped and replaced if i want to.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
you are also truly right..be able to change a fan, especially on a cpu cooler that a long life span (vs GPU) is finally more than welcomed!