Motherboard B450i Mini itx Motherboards

Jungstar

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2019
Did anyone manage to update to Ryzen 3xxx without issues? I0
I looked at the Asrock board that is both cheap and has really nice IO, but the bios have not been updated in forever and there are many complaints described online about many reboots and issues with Zen 2. The MSI seems good VRM wise, but I don't think it really matters unless you are water-cooling 12+ cores. Asus seems the nices and I like the 2 x m2 for avoiding cables down the road. Gigabyte seems to have the best audio and fastest Wifi?

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Did anyone manage to update to Ryzen 3xxx without issues?

I had a 2400G on the MSi Board and returned it because of issuses with the Wifi. The 2400G moved to the Deskmini A300 and I ordered the R5 3600 with the Gigabyte board (because like you I heard that the Wifi is solid). So no direct update, but this was at the begining of august and everything worked out of the box.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
I have the 3600 running on the Gigabyte B450 I w/ Bios F50a (1.0.0.4B) and am happy w/ results. PBO+200MHz is functioning normally.

Asrock X370ITX @ 5.90 (1.0.0.3ABB) w/ 3600 suffers from cold/boot issues reported online (unusable IMO)
Asrock B450ITX @ 3.50 (1.0.0.3ABB) w/ 3600 suffers from cold/boot issues reported online (unusable IMO)

People on the Asrock forums have posted the beta 1.0.0.4B for the B450ITX. I have tested it and it seems to clear up all issues I was encountering w/ 3.50. It’s been on their forums (well, cross linked to a reddit post) as an unofficial download for some time now and I question why it hasn’t been made official. Until they post it officially, IMO, the B450ITX is rated as unusable.

Those are my 3. I don't own any of the MSI.

Reactions: TheHig and Soul_Est

Slowjim

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2019
Did anyone manage to update to Ryzen 3xxx without issues? I0
I looked at the Asrock board that is both cheap and has really nice IO, but the bios have not been updated in forever and there are many complaints described online about many reboots and issues with Zen 2. The MSI seems good VRM wise, but I don't think it really matters unless you are water-cooling 12+ cores. Asus seems the nices and I like the 2 x m2 for avoiding cables down the road. Gigabyte seems to have the best audio and fastest Wifi?

I have a 3400g (technically a zen+ part) and the asrock B450 fatal1ty itx. Using a 1.0.0.4 beta bios from jzelectronic.de and I have two issues I have been spending a bunch of time trying to figure out. Firstly I am seeing an over-voltage issue (peaking at 1.55v SVI2 TFN) which I have also experienced on two other boards as well - MSI B450I (which I returned) and asrock A300. So I don't think the issue is exclusive to any one mobo. Two things that have seemed to help the over-voltage at stock settings were disabling "SOC/Uncore OC mode" under AMD Overclocking menu, and using the 1usmus power plan with enabling global c-state control and low current idle in bios.

For the second issue, basically it seems any time I apply an iGPU oc it bypasses all boost and power saving features on the CPU and just sits at max speed/voltage. Again, I am seeing like 1.55v SVI2 TFN. Nothing I have tried so far (see https://sff.life/how-to-undervolt-ryzen-cpu/) is able to change this behavior. The only thing that works is disabling core performance boost, which I don't really want to do.

On the plus side, I have cheap 2x8gb micron e-die running stable at 3533c14 1.45v and 3600c14 1.5v.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I have a 3400g (technically a zen+ part) and the asrock B450 fatal1ty itx. Using a 1.0.0.4 beta bios from jzelectronic.de and I have two issues I have been spending a bunch of time trying to figure out. Firstly I am seeing an over-voltage issue (peaking at 1.55v SVI2 TFN) which I have also experienced on two other boards as well - MSI B450I (which I returned) and asrock A300. So I don't think the issue is exclusive to any one mobo. Two things that have seemed to help the over-voltage at stock settings were disabling "SOC/Uncore OC mode" under AMD Overclocking menu, and using the 1usmus power plan with enabling global c-state control and low current idle in bios.

For the second issue, basically it seems any time I apply an iGPU oc it bypasses all boost and power saving features on the CPU and just sits at max speed/voltage. Again, I am seeing like 1.55v SVI2 TFN. Nothing I have tried so far (see https://sff.life/how-to-undervolt-ryzen-cpu/) is able to change this behavior. The only thing that works is disabling core performance boost, which I don't really want to do.

On the plus side, I have cheap 2x8gb micron e-die running stable at 3533c14 1.45v and 3600c14 1.5v.

I was seeing the same voltage jumps on my MSI B450I mobo and the fan RPMs would jump at the same time even when it was seemingly just idling. But since I capped the TDP at 65W in BIOS and the last few Linux AMD firmware updates it seems to max out at 1.38V under load and normally sits around 0.75-0.81 just idling. Have not seen it jump past 1.38v or so A.60 BIOS rev last one prior to 3000 support seemed like everything went to shit after that in the MSI forums.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I believe ASUS has the "worst" Wi-Fi because it's not Intel Wi-Fi. Not sure how risky it is to replacing the Realtek Wi-Fi though.
Replacing the Wi-Fi card is simple.
  1. Flip the board over
  2. remove two screws holding the Wi-Fi GO can
  3. Pull the Wi-Fi GO can
  4. Remove another screw from the Wi-Fi GO can
  5. Open up the Wi-Fi GO can
  6. Detach the antenna connectors and remove the old card
  7. Install the new card in the same spot and attach the antenna conectors
  8. Do steps 5 to 1 in reverse
  9. Done