Motherboard B450i Mini itx Motherboards

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
Guys, can someone measure the socket-to-dimm distance, in millimeters? Cooler clearance is a great concern of mine...

Most boards seems equal, but if someone can measure the rog b450i it would be perfect for me...

Hentrox

Chassis Packer
Nov 17, 2018
Hi guys.

I am really conflicted about which B450 itx to buy. I am going to be using a small itx case, so will not be overclocking my cpu due to airflow/cpu cooler restraints. I want a board with high end audio. Right now I have a board with ALC892, I assume the ALC1220 is a noticeable upgrade? I am going to use a Ryzen 5 2600 at stock speeds (perhaps 3.9-4ghz oc, depends on how hot it gets - I am going to be using the stock cooler, then maybe upgrading to a low profile Noctua cooler to reduce noise, ill see). I assume that all of the options will run the 2600 at stock speeds/slight overclock at safe vrm/mosfet temps in a small, restricted airflow case (silverstone ML08-B)? However if i wanted to upgrade to a higher core count next gen ryzen cpu, in your opinion, would the likes of the gigabyte b450i or asrock b450i suffice for vrm temps? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the asus b450i to future proof my system ?

If you strongly believe that the ALC1220 is not going to be a good upgrade over the ALC892, then I will just buy the MSI B450i as it has a good vrm layout/components, and is a lot cheaper than the ASUS one...

Thanks in advance for your replys and wisdom.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
For the money I feel that the Asrock B450 is the best of the lot. If you really want to up the audio game then perhaps an external DAC? Just spit balling here. Most Audiophiles seem to have a lot of high end gear outside of the PC it seems.

Cheers

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Hi guys.

I am really conflicted about which B450 itx to buy. I am going to be using a small itx case, so will not be overclocking my cpu due to airflow/cpu cooler restraints. I want a board with high end audio. Right now I have a board with ALC892, I assume the ALC1220 is a noticeable upgrade? I am going to use a Ryzen 5 2600 at stock speeds (perhaps 3.9-4ghz oc, depends on how hot it gets - I am going to be using the stock cooler, then maybe upgrading to a low profile Noctua cooler to reduce noise, ill see). I assume that all of the options will run the 2600 at stock speeds/slight overclock at safe vrm/mosfet temps in a small, restricted airflow case (silverstone ML08-B)? However if i wanted to upgrade to a higher core count next gen ryzen cpu, in your opinion, would the likes of the gigabyte b450i or asrock b450i suffice for vrm temps? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the asus b450i to future proof my system ?

If you strongly believe that the ALC1220 is not going to be a good upgrade over the ALC892, then I will just buy the MSI B450i as it has a good vrm layout/components, and is a lot cheaper than the ASUS one...

Thanks in advance for your replys and wisdom.

In all honestly imo the MSI just seems unjustifiable. I mean the VRM's are great. But, for anyone that would actually need them. The lack of voltage offset would be a deal breaker alone. And for those who have no intention of using voltage offset. Those VRM's are meaningless as they are completely overkill.

If you plan on running a 2600 now and upgrading to something 2700 or up. Than the Asus is the best option period. But at up to a $50 premium over the ASRock and Gigabyte that would be up to you whether it would be worth it.

All three boards have great audio with the ALC1220 (ASRock, Gigabyte, Asus). With the Asus having the better audio. But ASRock offering Toslink.

What I would suggest. If the Gigabyte is a board you want. Spend the extra $30 for the Asus. Otherwise, if budget is a concern the ASRock is on sale right now for $109 with a $20 mail-in rebate on Newegg. Making it only $90.

I will say this however. To me the Asus is the ONLY board I would consider if I were not looking at a APU system myself. But, because I myself am getting a APU the ASRock is perfect for me. If you plan on upgrading to something more powerful than the 2500 down the road, you will save money by paying a little more and getting the Asus B450 rather the possibility of needing to upgrade the board to support a more powerful CPU later.

Good luck with your choice. I'll be placing my order this week myself.

Hentrox

Chassis Packer
Nov 17, 2018
Hi again, thanks for your replys. I live in New Zealand, and the msi board is $50 NZD ($33USD) cheaper than the Asus one. I have decided that I would be willing to sacrifice the ALC1220 for a $50 saving... You say there is no voltage offset option on the msi board? What is voltage offset and why would it be important when overclocking (not to extreme levels) my 2600?

Thanks!

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Hi again, thanks for your replys. I live in New Zealand, and the msi board is $50 NZD ($33USD) cheaper than the Asus one. I have decided that I would be willing to sacrifice the ALC1220 for a $50 saving... You say there is no voltage offset option on the msi board? What is voltage offset and why would it be important when overclocking (not to extreme levels) my 2600?

Thanks!

It's mainly used by over-clockers or if you simply want to use less power and produce less heat. I'd recommend looking it up. I would try to explain it but I doubt I would be able to put it into words correctly.

But, the key here is that with offset Voltage your system will run allot more efficient.

Hentrox

Chassis Packer
Nov 17, 2018
Ah ok sounds like it could be quite helpful in my circumstances. Yeah I did a quick Google and the first few pages didn't really explain it that well, hence why I asked here - I will do some more research though. I think at this stage I'm just going to buy the asus board because they have good software and I've heard they are great with overall quality which is always a great thing!

Thanks again for all the wisdom! And good luck with your builds :)

(Can't wait to play black ops 4 without a CPU that's limits my fps!)

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
Hey guys,

Im considering going into a 2700x mini ITX build too and I have not found my ideal motherboard.

The thing I dont like about the ASUS is that wifi antenna. I like MSIs approach much more. Is that something I could replace with a 3rd party antenna that looks more like the one from MSI? That way I wouldnt have to compromise with the MSI and could pick up the asus.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
MSI has offset voltage in latest bios and best VRMs.

@dream3 you can purchase replacements wifi antennas from amazon for less than 10 bucks and there are variety of styles to choose from

Is this true? Is there a link to confirm? If the Msi B450 Itx does have offset voltage than that truly is great news. It might be lacking in some areas. But, I feel like it was one of the most over built boards for AM4 itx. Which is always great.

EDIT: It seems they did indeed add Offset Voltage in the recent Bios update.

Great to hear. But I wonder if it's little too late?

I know allot of companies will be just updating their Bios to add compatibility for the new AMD chips coming out. But, I suspect we will see at-least a few new boards along with them.

I still feel like atm the Asus b450i is the best all around board. With the ASRock being being the better option for APU systems.

Thanks for the update.I love how these AMD boards can stay relevant for so long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
Interesting update!

So what's the final veredict between ASUS and MSI now? Is ASUS still ahead and why?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Interesting update!

So what's the final veredict between ASUS and MSI now? Is ASUS still ahead and why?
ASUS is ahead in features (and audio?) while MSI is ahead on power delivery and input (still have a PS/2 port for a reason).

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Has anyone tried undervolting on the MSI b450i? Some reddit threads have reported that the optoin is in the bios but it doesnt actually work.
My use case is i bought a 2700x for the price of a new 2600x, and i need it to be cool and quiet (2700 performance...)
I'm guessing i need to do the following:
1) undervolt using negative offset voltage
2) disable pbo
3) anything else?

I might spring the extra $20 for the strix board.. ($189 vs $209 aud here)

Reactions: Dazr87

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Has anyone tried undervolting on the MSI b450i? Some reddit threads have reported that the optoin is in the bios but it doesnt actually work.
My use case is i bought a 2700x for the price of a new 2600x, and i need it to be cool and quiet (2700 performance...)
I'm guessing i need to do the following:
1) undervolt using negative offset voltage
2) disable pbo
3) anything else?

I might spring the extra $20 for the strix board.. ($189 vs $209 aud here)
I'd say that the ASUS is worth it if you're going to need that second m.2 slot, better audio solution, or more fan headers. The ASUS BIOS is laid out well enough for you to find what you're looking for as well. You would find the relevant options in the AI Tweaker tab.

Source: I own an ASUS B450-i

Reactions: TheHig

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Mar 27, 2019
I'd say that the ASUS is worth it if you're going to need that second m.2 slot, better audio solution, or more fan headers. The ASUS BIOS is laid out well enough for you to find what you're looking for as well. You would find the relevant options in the AI Tweaker tab.

Source: I own an ASUS B450-i
Are you running an APU? Am I wrong saying that the second M.2 is disabled when a Raven is installed?
If the ASUS can run a 2400G and have both M.2 NVMEs active, then I may change my mind about the build I am entertaining.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Are you running an APU? Am I wrong saying that the second M.2 is disabled when a Raven is installed?
If the ASUS can run a 2400G and have both M.2 NVMEs active, then I may change my mind about the build I am entertaining.

Looks like it, The 2400g only provides 8x lanes for gfx, 4 for general purpose, 4 for chipset link, think this was only reason for not getting this mobo, just wasted options for an APU, though maybe next 3000 series. Presently have x16 to M.2 adapter for main SSD and bottom M.2 is open presently, no room for graphics card.

From ASUS spec page
  • Expansion
  • AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors
    1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 mode)
    AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors
    1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x8 mode)
  • Storage
    AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
    1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
    1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*1
    AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processor : *2
    1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
  • USB
  • AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation :
    4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue)
    AMD B450 chipset :
    2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s) (2 at back panel, red, Type-A)
    AMD B450 chipset :
    2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at mid-board)
    AMD B450 chipset :
    2 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 at mid-board)
*1 The M.2_2 slot shares with PCIE x16. When M.2_2 slot runs in PCIE mode, the PCIE x16 slot will run at x8 mode.
*2 M.2_2 is unsupported when using these CPUs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig and Soul_Est

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Mar 27, 2019
Looks like it, The 2400g only provides 8x lanes for gfx, 4 for general purpose, 4 for chipset link, think this was only reason for not getting this mobo, just wasted options for an APU, though maybe next 3000 series. Presently have x16 to M.2 adapter for main SSD and bottom M.2 is open presently, no room for graphics card.
IIRC you are running the MSI. Why did you chose the adapter over the under M.2? Easy of access ? I may end using both with NVME. I am leaning toward the ASROCK because of the USB support. Waiting for 2200GE.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
You are not wrong as @Stevo_ verified below. I personally run a Ryzen CPU on my board and have not tested an APU on it. I would recommend the MSI B450I as it has a 6+2 VRM solution which can better power APUs than the 6+1 VRM solution of the ASUS B450-I.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
IIRC you are running the MSI. Why did you chose the adapter over the under M.2? Easy of access ? I may end using both with NVME. I am leaning toward the ASROCK because of the USB support. Waiting for 2200GE.

Yeah, easy access, but I might throw an NVME in there eventually.

Only nit on the board so far is when the vcore is set to auto it wanders all over the place from 1.3 -1.6 overrea ting to even light load/temp changes, cause the fan to oscillate to sometimes audible range with fan curve. Ended up fixing vcore to 1.35v

Last edited: