Discussion ASUS z390i BIOS Default Settings Question

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Just completed a sff new build a few weeks ago, all was going good until today. I was in my BIOS (ASUS z390i) & inadvertently changed something by accident which caused my cpu temps to increase from 32C-33C @ idle to 40C-41C. After awhile sitting at idle temps it climbs to 50C-52C, fan kicks on high then drops back to 40C-41C. Have no idea what I did & not experienced enough to figure out what I changed or how to get back to previous settings. I was checking my RAM speed & just surfing around the different tabs to become familiar with it & must have clicked on a setting that caused this, as soon as I got out & back to the desktop I noticed the increase in cpu temps. The motherboard temps are steady at 29C. I'm not overclocking or gaming, this is just a simple work pc for light office work I put together, all new parts.

Case OSMI 3.1 (sff), ASUS z390i (BIOS 3006), i5-8500, Windows 10, Samsung 950PRO M.2 512GB, be quiet Pure Rock LP air cooler, Corsair SF600 PSU, Case Fan be quiet 140mm

I originally was going to install a i9-9900k I had laying around & when I purchased the motherboard new from a dealer they already updated the bios for a i9-9900k (version 3006). It did function and worked perfectly, however the i9-9900k is a hot cpu and the fan was constantly ramping up to keep it cool & I wanted it to be more silent since its a desktop pc so I purchased a brand new i5-8500 that has a 65W TDP, much cooler cpu, it was running way more silent & cooler in the case for a few weeks now, until today when I tweaked something. The board went from the box to the case with no adjustments or changes except when I set the 2 custom fan curves 3 weeks ago.

(1) Is there a way to reset the bios to default settings like when it arrived since it was fine before I tweaked something by accident & still maintain bios version 3006, or will it change that as well and revert to an earlier or original bios version thus needing an updated bios version for the i5-8500?

(2) If it is possible I know there are a couple default settings in the bios, one is in the EZ Mode > Bottom Default(F5), & the other is in Advanced Mode(F7) > Exit > Load Optimized Defaults. Which one would accomplish this?

As for my build experience I can figure out what goes where and why & able to put together compatible components & do some troubleshooting, however when it come to the bios I run into a wall, not very well versed or knowledgeable when it comes to the bios, understanding what things mean or refer to, settings, & performing updates, just enough to make me dangerous, so any replies please keep it simple with easy to follow instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading, hoping for some good news here, I want my lower temps back ...jp

Reactions: Phuncz