Asus Z390i Gaming RGB effect

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I am using this motherboard which, I think, should also be used by a number of members here.

Even though I have disabled the RGB effect in the BIOS as well as in Asus Aura, the RGB still turns on when I boot up the PC.
This is annoying, of course.
Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this problem? What I am doing now to turn the RGB off is to launch Aura and then turn it on and then turn it off from within Aura.
How are you guys doing it? Any trick?
Thanks.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Desolder the LEDs?

TBH the disable in BIOS should work - maybe throw an email to ASUS asking them why their gimmicky RGB LEDs can't be disabled for those who actually have eyes? :p

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Desoldering is a little drastic at the moment. I am trying to solve this on the software side first.
An idea just comes up:- enable Aura in BIOS and within Aura software but choose 'static' + 'single colour' + 'zero brightness'. Maybe this will do the trick?

On a related note, I have just installed MSI Mystic Light to kill off the RGB of my card. Let's see if this software is any good. Very soon, I will know.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
OK, I think I have figured out a way and like to share. This is, by no means, the only way but it is just working for me.
A review of my hardware with RGB LEDs.
a) Asus Z390i Gaming motherboard (still using the 1st release BIOS version 0401)
b) G.Skill Trident Z 2x8GB kit
c) MSI 2070 Gaming Z

First, I did not download/install G.Skill's RGB control software. Without it, the memory just syncs its colour with the RGB of the Asus motherboard. This is good as I do not want to install unnecessary software. RGB control softwares are known to have conflict with each other. So, if I can tame Asus, G.Skill will just follow suit.

Next, I enable Asus Aura in the BIOS. And, I set the colour effect, in Asus Aura, to static single colour. And, the brightness/intensity slider is slided to the left, making it zero light effectively.
Now comes a tricky part. Under Windows' Power Options/Plans', disable ''fast startup''. Fast startup will help a system with booting HDD to start faster but as my booting drive is a SSD, this does not matter to me.
This works so far.

I imagine, if you have other Asus RGB products, you can just link them all in Aura and it should work too.
But I have a MSI GPU which has its own control software (ie Mystic Light).
I install this software and use it to disable the LED. But it does not seem to save the setting and every time when the PC goes to sleep or restarts, the LEDs reset back to the default RGB.
I found out, by accident, that I need to check the 'SW Keep' option in its icon in the taskbar. I think this is supposed to save the setting. Maybe it means to keep the software setting?
So far it is working.?

Edit#1
Previously G.Skill just follows whatever the Asus motherboard does. So, I thought if I can 'kill off' Asus Z390i onboard RGB, G.Skill will just follow.
Now, I found out it does not! :mad:
I now have to install G.Skill's own software (ie Trident Z RGB Control) to play with and hopefully disable the RGB from within. Let's hope there is no conflict.XD

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
The saga continues. It just does not seem to want to end.

So, I installed G.Skill Trident Z RGB Control software. There is strong warning from G.Skill that this software can have a conflict with other RGB software, including Asus Aura. Despite this, I installed anyway.
Sure enough, both softwares have conflict with each other and they cannot be launched but responded with error saying ''An administrator has blocked you from running this app....''.:mad: Motherboard RGB remains unlit (this is good) but G.Skill RGB has the default RGB effect (no good).

So, I uninstalled Asus Aura and then disable RGB within BIOS (using the F4). This seems to disable mobo RGB all together. Good!
To manage G.Skill, I uninstalled the Trident Z RGB (version 1.06.68 is known to have this issue and they are working on to resolve this as of today) as well but installed G.Skill Royal Lighting (version 1.00.03) which is backward compatible with Trident Z RGB memory sticks. This little software does not offer an 'RGB off' option among all the various RGB effects. So, the trick is to use the slider to turn down all 5 LEDs to zero brightness. This software will be launched when Windows starts to take control and gives zero LEDs effect.

At last, hopefully, all 3 components (Asus motherboard, G.Skill memory, MSI display card) do not give me 'eye cancer'.

Note:-
It seems there are some 'deep cleaning' guides which outlines the steps to clean up Asus Aura and G.Skill RGb softwares. Google for them if you need them. I took the easier/lazier way. When uninstalling them, just do not use Windows' Add/Remove Programs. Instead, run the setup.exe of Aura (or G.Skill's) again. It will detect the current installation and will ask if you want to completely remove it. Click 'yes' and it will do the un-install. It seems this approach will give a better cleaning than using Windows' Add/Remove Programs.