Motherboard Asus z370 strix-I m.2 question?

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
Hey guys , as the title says.

I have this motherboard, and I already have a Samsung 960 installed. There is one more m.2 slot on the bottom of the motherboard, where I'm thinking of putting an extra hdd.

Can I just buy the 970 evo and put that in there, or Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Wenemun

Caliper Novice
Mar 7, 2018
Yep, cant see why not... Swap your 960 into it and check. As for power, like 6w average (3.3v)...
Personally, if its just for storage, id look for a cheaper 1tb sata, or get a 2tb sata for around the same price.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
Yep, cant see why not... Swap your 960 into it and check. As for power, like 6w average (3.3v)...
Personally, if its just for storage, id look for a cheaper 1tb sata, or get a 2tb sata for around the same price.

I'm in a very small case, a mod of streacom f1c evo. So I really have no space for a drive. That's why it has to be m.2 ☺
But maybe it could be a good idea to buy a cheaper m.2 drive from another brand to get more gigabytes?! It is only storage...

Seid Dark

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
I'm in a very small case, a mod of streacom f1c evo. So I really have no space for a drive. That's why it has to be m.2 ☺
But maybe it could be a good idea to buy a cheaper m.2 drive from another brand to get more gigabytes?! It is only storage...
I recommend Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860, both of them are quality SSDs that are likely to last a long time (5 year warranty). I don't think a NVME drive like 970 EVO makes sense for storage use.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
I recommend Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860, both of them are quality SSDs that are likely to last a long time (5 year warranty). I don't think a NVME drive like 970 EVO makes sense for storage use.

Cool, thank you!

Wenemun

Caliper Novice
Mar 7, 2018
m.2 is the connector type. nvme or SATA is the controller interface/storage protocol. m.2 can be either. nvme is like 2-3 times faster.

Reactions: Thauner

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
did you guys update/did you find it necessary to update the bios when using nvme?