Motherboard ASUS Strix X470-I

VeganWarrior69

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
I’ve just ordered one here in the UK along with a 2400g and an Inwin Chopin. Probably overkill as it will only be an htpc but wanted hdmi 2.0b and a bit of future proofing. Will update once build is complete.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
I’ve just ordered one here in the UK along with a 2400g and an Inwin Chopin. Probably overkill as it will only be an htpc but wanted hdmi 2.0b and a bit of future proofing. Will update once build is complete.
Nice, been wanting to do a similar build in Lazer3Ds HT5. Looking forward to hearing about your build!

VeganWarrior69

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
All the parts have arrived.Had a quick look at the board. Seems very well put together.

Build will be :
Inwin Chopin
Ryzen 2400g
16Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000
Samsung 250Gb 970 Evo
Noctua L9-AM4 Cooler
And an old pair of 500Gb 2.5” Sata Drives.
Oh and a copy of Win 10 64Bit on a thumb drive.

Will update shortly.

Reactions: ebc92

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018

Where did u get it from? Damn Amazon is taking forever to get them.

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
Newegg? That's weird, i have been watching it for 2 weeks and after the first few days it even disappeared from the website's search. How did you get one? Oo

maped

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2017
In case someone from Scandinavia or Finland wants the board, Komplett has them in stock. Got mine built up with my "old" 1600x, everything went together quite painlessly and apart from the groan-inducing text on the ssd shield, it's quite a nice board. Now if only my M.2 adapter card came so I can get my 10Gb network card in.

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
In case someone from Scandinavia or Finland wants the board, Komplett has them in stock. Got mine built up with my "old" 1600x, everything went together quite painlessly and apart from the groan-inducing text on the ssd shield, it's quite a nice board. Now if only my M.2 adapter card came so I can get my 10Gb network card in.

Thanks, i am in Scandinavia ^^

VeganWarrior69

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
Finished my build as listed above.
Board seems ok but couldn't get the bluetooth working properly for some reason so gave up and bought a 6 pound dongle from amazon which worked straight away.
I still need to tweak the video output settings which may take a while but so far so good.

Not sure what the best BIOS settings are. Been years since i built a PC so if any of you guys have some guidance when you get yours
it would be appreciated.

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
Since i hate that ssd shroud (too "gamer/pimp" for my taste), with some acrylic and plasti dip...

The logo still lights, hence the use of acrylic first but I will probably turn it off most of the time.

Abbie Doobie

Cable Smoosher
Oct 1, 2017
Since i hate that ssd shroud (too "gamer/pimp" for my taste), with some acrylic and plasti dip...

The logo still lights, hence the use of acrylic first but I will probably turn it off most of the time.

I hate the shroud too, but with my Arctic Accelero III 1080ti I ended up having to remove it anyway! One of the screws on the corner of the X bracket was just barely hitting that shroud, so the GPU was a few mm from being seated properly (it did still boot).

Figured it was the perfect excuse to remove it. I plan on putting a thin heatsink on my M.2 when I come across something I like.

Reactions: Walderstorn

maped

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2017
Yeah, I've got to do something about that shroud too. At the moment it's hidden behind the GPU put once I put it in a case I would be prominently displayed.

@Abbie Doobie I used the Aquacomputer kryoM.2 in my previous build, its very low profile and it did help with the temps of an A-Data SX8000, but it's not the hottest running drive to begin with so YMMV.

Reactions: Walderstorn

carbonitetoast

Caliper Novice
Jun 16, 2017
Yeah, I've got to do something about that shroud too. At the moment it's hidden behind the GPU put once I put it in a case I would be prominently displayed.

@Abbie Doobie I used the Aquacomputer kryoM.2 in my previous build, its very low profile and it did help with the temps of an A-Data SX8000, but it's not the hottest running drive to begin with so YMMV.

I can't see the gamer-y writing on the shroud at all while it's in my case though I have a tower cooler so maybe it is helping block it some. If I try really hard and get up close and move my head around I can see the STRIX part reflect some light but none of the other words so I would say not worth the effort ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Is anyone here using this mobo for the 2400G? It seems it only has 1 SoC VRM, which is a shame, because it seriously cripples the feasibility of using this mobo in an APU build. It should still be possible, but OC performance will be poor/unstable. I'm interested to hear how others have fared with this CPU/mobo combo.

gwilly7

Cable Smoosher
Feb 13, 2018
I am, but only use it for an htpc, no over clocking. It runs fantastic for me. I am using the gskill flarex cl14 memory with its docp profile. You can only use 1 of the M.2 slots with the APU. I started with the Asrock board but was not able to get 4k resolution when booting from the M.2 using the onboard hdmi. Not sure if I had a bad board or if it was an Asrock issue. I hated to spend the extra money, but glad I did.

Reactions: ebc92

abear182

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018
Been using this board with a 2700 and not been having any major issues. The only thing I have noticed is the boot times seem to be slow compared to my old 4770k Intel build.

I am on the BIOS that shipped with my board (0601) and I have noticed they have released 2 updates in the past few weeks (0804 & 0901).Will these improve the board in general?