Motherboard ASUS Strix X470-I

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Information about ASUS' first X470 motherboards has already been starting to appear, more can be read here.

The "ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING" motherboard can be found among them. Referring to ASUS' known naming convention it is likely safe to assume that this card will be among the first 400-series mini-ITX motherboards to hit the market.

Personally i'm hoping ASUS is bringing video out in the shape of DP or HDMI to their Ryzen motherboards this time around. Also, considering how Raven Ridge GPU performance scales with memory speed and the predecessor Strix X370-I's extensive memory overclocking support, I think this would make the board one of the best candidates for use in a Raven Ridge system.

In addition, it would be nice to see:
  • PCIe 3.0 on both M.2 slots
  • Strix B450-I release in ample time
Looking forward to hearing the SFFF community's thoughts on these features and this motherboard :)

Edit/PSA: For those considering this mobo for a Raven Ridge system - it seems it has only 1 SoC VRM for iGPU power delivery. Some users report having issues driving the iGPU off of this single VRM, especially if you're looking to OC. Take this into consideration if this is your intended use case.

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0 and Nitro528

ImaRyzen

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 27, 2018
I need two for mine and my wife's builds, I've been looking everywhere for the Asus B350 and X370 ITX boards and as soon as I find one it will be OOS, and 3rd party sellers are selling for way over MSRP. Really hope I can get two soon, our cases have limited air flow so I need some healthy VRM cooling.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Man I seriously consider selling my rx550 and my b350-i plus r5 1600 to get this and a 2400g

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Unless you specifically want to downsize your build even further, that's a sidegrade at best.
Thinking of capitalizing on high prices of gpu while it lasts. I bought my rx550 around ~90USD and it's now 170+

But you're right, I prob have to sell the mobo and the cpu on a loss anyway.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Thinking of capitalizing on high prices of gpu while it lasts. I bought my rx550 around ~90USD and it's now 170+

But you're right, I prob have to sell the mobo and the cpu on a loss anyway.

No need to sell mobo. I guess if you want to profit on your gpu it's not the worst idea.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
My current asus B350-i doesn't have display output sadly. So it doesn't support raven ridge apu.

Nitro528

Efficiency Noob
Apr 8, 2018
Information about ASUS' first X470 motherboards has already been starting to appear, more can be read here.

The "ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING" motherboard can be found among them. Referring to ASUS' known naming convention it is likely safe to assume that this card will be among the first 400-series mini-ITX motherboards to hit the market.

Personally i'm hoping ASUS is bringing video out in the shape of DP or HDMI to their Ryzen motherboards this time around. Also, considering how Raven Ridge GPU performance scales with memory speed and the predecessor Strix X370-I's extensive memory overclocking support, I think this would make the board one of the best candidates for use in a Raven Ridge system.

In addition, it would be nice to see:
  • PCIe 3.0 on both M.2 slots
  • Strix B450-I release in ample time
Looking forward to hearing the SFFF community's thoughts on these features and this motherboard :)
When will ITX boards be released

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
A batch of X470 boards are releasing on april 19th, but no word from ASUS on the release date for this specific board. It seems likely it will be one of the boards releasing on the 19th, though. No word on B-series yet.

For you people with the 300-series version - is the 'styled' part on the M.2 shroud (with the garbled text) removable? (e.g. only the black part, not the shroud itself - it looks like a sticker or a separate piece). Apart from the styling, the shroud seems to be the same between the 300/400-series versions, which is why I'm asking.

jenosmaverick

Cable Smoosher
Apr 6, 2018
Man why would Asus have to put those words in there. And I do wish they hit Philippine soil so I can finally build a ryzen mitx.

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6147...anding-next-gen-ryzen-motherboards/index.html

Reactions: br3nd0

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Thanks for the link!
Product page lists memory support up to DDR4-3466, but the previous X370-I supports up to DDR4-3600.
What's up with that?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
First gen BIOS causing that I'd say. In time I'd expect memory speed support to improve, much like the first gen Ryzen boards.

Reactions: ebc92

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
Review posted over on guru3d: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-rog-strix-x470-i-gaming-review,1.html

No glaring issues raised in the review. Seems like an incremental upgrade from the Strix X370-I.

Dual M.2 both supporting PCIE 3.0 x4!

This comes with a caveat, according to the review:

There are two M.2 slots present, using x4 PCIe lanes directly from the CPU thus 32 GB/sec of performance. If you use the second M2 slot your GPU will revert towards x4 mode, so that 8 PCIe lanes are freed up, four of them will be assigned towards the second M2 device, so that's a full speed connection. If you do not want that, you can switch in the BIOS, and have the 2nd M2 slot pull 4 lanes from the chipset, these, however, are PCIe Gen 2.0, and that halves the bandwidth then.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
ASUS product page specifies the following:

The M.2_2 slot shares with PCIE x16. When M.2_2 slot runs in PCIE mode, the PCIE x16 slot will run at x8 mode.

So it seems to me that if both m.2 run at pcie x4, the GPU is reduced to x8, not x4?

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
ASUS product page specifies the following:

So it seems to me that if both m.2 run at pcie x4, the GPU is reduced to x8, not x4?

I've noticed a couple of other mistakes, so I'd definitely trust the product page over guru3d.

A few other issues with the review were mentioned on their forum, and were just ignored (or worse...). Quite dissapointing!

hyp36rmax

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2018
I heard this was supposed to be released today? Or was it just the NDA for reviews? I have on on order from Amazon waiting for it to drop.