Motherboard ASUS ROG X370-I Strix motherboard M.2

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hey people,

So I have a bit of an odd question here for you guys, as I have encountered a bit of a problem.

I have gotten the ASUS ROG X370-I Strix motherboard and when trying to install the m.2 drive on the riser, I can't fully screw the screw in to secure the m.2 drive. As the screw catches on the edge of the riser on the left side.

If you look on the far left of the cover part (where I have drawn a black arrow pointing at an black circle), there is a bit of an ledge to it, and that ledge is slightly above the the screw point for the m.2 drive.

If I try to screw in the screw to secure the m.2 drive, the top of the screw will catch onto that ledge and won't go down properly.

Am I doing something completely wrong here or is there a special trick/way of doing this?... As I can't believe that one of the most well regarded manufacturers has done such a design flaw on this particular motherboard?.

Help is highly, greatly and much appreciated!

Thanks all!

Kind and best regards,
Dawelio

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey, I can't see your picture. Could you try uploading it somewhere else? Imgur works well for me.

Based on the description of your situation, I'd double-check you have the M.2 drive inserted all the way in the slot. It sounds like it might be sticking out just a little too much?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hey, I can't see your picture. Could you try uploading it somewhere else? Imgur works well for me.

Based on the description of your situation, I'd double-check you have the M.2 drive inserted all the way in the slot. It sounds like it might be sticking out just a little too much?

Hey, thanks for your quick reply.

I have now changed the image and hope you can now see it. Strange that you couldn't though as it has always worked before on other forums...

It is inserted all the way into the slot, it can't go any further, trust me on that :p ... It's not the actual M.2 drive that is sticking out too much, but rather the "edge" from the top of the riser board, ie "the roof" of where the audio ports are.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Just wanted to let everyone know that it's sorted now and want to give a huge thanks to zovc for trying to help out. Much appreciated! :)

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Oh! I can finally see your picture! What ended up being the issue? Glad you got it sorted out.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Oh! I can finally see your picture! What ended up being the issue? Glad you got it sorted out.

Yeah, I switched to imgur rather than photobucket. And the issue was the first motherboard had the wrong screw included. I ordered the same motherboard again and it worked perfectly, so I'm gonna return the first one (which was defect in the aspect of not having the correct screw.) :)

Reactions: zovc

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
Mine was missing a standoff, can only fit the m.2 sata drive on the back of the board until asus get back to me.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I'm gonna replace mine with the ek heatsink

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-m-2-nvme-heatsink-black

Might have the same problem but we'll see

That is probably gonna look a bit off, especially considering that the mounting for the standard "heatsink" that comes with the motherboard is custom made for the motherboard. But good luck, shall be interesting to see and hear your thoughts on that heatsink though :)

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2017
Glad you got it sorted. But for anyone else here that is getting this board or the B350-I equivalent, It's a little tricky and you kind of have to finagle the screw to go under the lip of the heatsink:

I had the same issue - even tried loosening the part (with 2 screws) to the immediate left of the screw in question… but that did not work… it was as mentioned a bit of a 'finagle' - it looks like a bit of extra metal detailing was added and tolerance not accounted for… my first itx mobo - wow everything is so cramped!

Reactions: owliwar

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I had the same issue - even tried loosening the part (with 2 screws) to the immediate left of the screw in question… but that did not work… it was as mentioned a bit of a 'finagle' - it looks like a bit of extra metal detailing was added and tolerance not accounted for… my first itx mobo - wow everything is so cramped!

Yup, the same thing happened to me. It was really frustrating, but then on the 2nd board I ordered, it worked just fine. Which was a bit strange considering it's an identical board.

Reactions: owliwar