Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac + Thunderbolt 3 + LG 5k Ultrafine?

justinoes

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Hi all,

Long time lurker, and I can't for the life of me find an answer to a couple questions... I'm waiting on my Loque Ghost S1 case to start buying components for my ITX gaming PC, but I've started to research motherboards and I noticed that ASRock is starting to include Thunderbolt 3 ports on some of their ITX boards. I'm primarily a Mac user and I've been eyeing the LG 5k Ultrafine since it was announced. I'd love to have that 5K display for my new Mac Mini (2018) but also be able to use it with my gaming PC.
  • Can that TB3 port actually drive the LG 5k monitor? (I realize that it might only drive it at 4k, but that's completely fine.)
  • Assuming it can, would that exclusively use the integrated GPU or could I use my GTX 1070? (Traditional TB3 add in cards seem to require taking displayport outputs from the GPU and then routing them through the AIC before outputting through a TB3 port. However, I'm not sure if being built into the board changes that.)
Maybe someone out there has already tinkered around with this configuration. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Justin

justinoes

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
I decided to try ASRock support again. They actually replied this time and confirmed that the TB3 port on their ITX boards only are capable of displaying output from the integrated GPU. So you can't use that board to build a super tiny gaming rig with the intent to use the TB3 video output, unless you're okay with on board graphics. Too bad.

Reactions: Phuncz