Jig for bending NH-L12S to fit Ghost S1

Quick99

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
The NH-L12S is a mere 4mm too tall to fit in the Ghost S1:

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l12s

It is 70mm tall, but the case only allows for up to 66mm. Here is what the RAM clearance looks like:

Looks like if you used RAM without head spreaders there would be ~2mm clearance, which isn't the 4mm we need. But if you used some naked VLP (Very Low Profile) RAM, that would change that ~2mm clearance to ~14mm.

I think it might be possible to build a jig that could be used to "squish" the L12S down by 4mm without damaging anything. Then it would fit in the Ghost S1 just perfect. Also, that brings the RAM clearance down from ~14mm to ~10mm, potentially allowing you to switch from a 15mm to 25mm fan width. (Assuming those heat pipes are not in the way).

As far as I have seen this would be the best possible air cooling for the S1.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Quick99

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Maybe there is a better air cooling solution for the Ghost S1 that I have not found yet? I'd like to be able to run a Ryzen 2700X at full tilt without too much noise.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Raijintek Pallas is at 68MM and I'll bet it'll cool the 2700X better than the fabled NH-L12S: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13C-001T-00012

Pallas is quite bendy. You can easily (albeit slowly and carefully) bend it for the 2mm, even more to reduce turbulent noise. Heatsink over the RAM is 22mm, with the 13mm fan, you get 35mm of thickness over the RAM. Considering the CPU thickness (~8mm from mobo PCB) and RAM spacing (~3mm from mobo PCB) and an overall target height of 65mm from CPU surface (3mm bend of the Pallas), you get around 35mm for RAM height (physical, not from slot or mobo). If you bend the Pallas further to reduce noise, you subtract that from the 35mm RAM height.

EDIT: Pallas is quite large. The best orientation for clearance issues would be to direct the heat-pipe ends towards the RAM. Depending on your mobo, towards the PCI-E slot may work too. Bending actually would improve clearance issues as it would make the heatsink more centered with respect to the CPU.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
I guy on YouTube did that. And then the screw holes didn't align anymore. He made it work but I don't feel that it's worth it.