ASROCK x299 mITX - remove wi-fi

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
If the wi-fi module that plugs into the M2 slot on the board is removed......could this M2 be used for an M2 to PCIE adapter to be used for a ( in this example) 10Gbps card to be plugged into?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
the pcie adapter has to be able to accept key E m.2 devices. you’re asking about using the wifi card on a regular PCIe socket right?

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
No. The M.2 slot used for wifi is an E key. in order to use an M.2 drive, it must be M or B key. Unless you can find a card that uses an E key.

M.2 slot fully explained:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...e-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

ahh OK - thanks for the heads up. I didnt know about E key M.2

Looks like i will have to use the M2 slot on the rear daughter card for a M.2 to PCIE adapter as I want to leave the 2 rear side M.2 slots for use as Raid 0 with 960 samsungs.

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
I dont ne
the pcie adapter has to be able to accept key E m.2 devices. you’re asking about using the wifi card on a regular PCIe socket right?

I dont need wi-fi on the board at all - so wanted to remove the wi-fi module and use the wi-fi M.2 with an M.2 to PCIE adapter so I could plug in a 10Gig card to the end of the M.2 to PCIE adapter.