News ASRock DeskMini B660: A LGA1700 barebone with PCIe 5.0 SSD, USB 3.2 Gen2×2 and DDR4

LINK: https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=4807
Other sources: LINK LINK

ASRock DeskMini B660
  • Intel12th Gen Core processors up to 65 watts TDP
  • 2× SO-DIMM DDR4 3200Mhz
  • 2 x 2280 M.2 slots (1 PCIe 5.0 and 1 PCIe 4.0)
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen2x2 Type C , 1x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type A and 3.5mm audio jack in front
  • 1× USB 3.2 Gen-2x1 Type-C with ALT mode in back offering DP and PD (60w) connectivity in rear I/O
  • Supports 3 monitors USB-C, Displayport 1.4a and HDMI? (assuming, not stated)
  • Intel Gigabit lan and M.2 2230 Wi-Fi/BT slot
  • 155 × 155 × 80 mm (L×H×W)
  • External power adapter

Last edited:

Wolfix

Efficiency Noob
Dec 22, 2022
I have the same issue where the multi core underperforms,m. I thought it was power starved, but after increasing the PL to 100 watts it still underperforms (about 10k score with 12600). Maybe it is still power starved. However the single core is within ~5% of expected. But your single core result is broken too, its almost 50% worse than expected. So this can't be explained by power starvation.
Hi, thank you!

I think that I found the problem.

"Advanced > CPU Configuration > CPU C States Support > CPU C6 State Support"

After change it to DISABLED, I achieved a single core puntuacion of 1543 pts (around the standar for 12400) and 8982 pts in multi core (higher than before). I don't know if it has any sense but it worked for me 🧐

Wolfix

Efficiency Noob
Dec 22, 2022
I updated the BIOS version from 8.02 to 12.02 in order to check if something changed about mi issue but the behavior it's the same. With the defaultI BIOS settings y only get the half of the standar performance in single core. If I disable "CPU C6 State Support", everything works fine.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Was yours initially set to Auto or Enabled though? Because I checked the bios and C6 state was set to Auto, just to experiment I tried disabled and had the same R23 multi core result (11,700 with 12600). I didn't test single core again

Wolfix

Efficiency Noob
Dec 22, 2022
Was yours initially set to Auto or Enabled though? Because I checked the bios and C6 state was set to Auto, just to experiment I tried disabled and had the same R23 multi core result (11,700 with 12600). I didn't test single core again
AUTO by default.

Maybe there is some problem with the motherboard and the i5-12400, with my cpu revision or maybe it`s a combination of this setting and some Windows 11 update but it's weird because more people should have the same problem. I have the lastest drivers and I don't have any other software installed beyond Cinebench R23, Geekbench 5, HWiNFO64 or CPU-Z. I setted power plan to high performance too but no luck.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
AUTO by default.

Maybe there is some problem with the motherboard and the i5-12400, with my cpu revision or maybe it`s a combination of this setting and some Windows 11 update but it's weird because more people should have the same problem. I have the lastest drivers and I don't have any other software installed beyond Cinebench R23, Geekbench 5, HWiNFO64 or CPU-Z. I setted power plan to high performance too but no luck.
Unfortunately I noticed with c6 state disabled the package power will not go below 23w on idle (so 20 watts higher than normal idle when enabled) and with the clock speeds locked at base frequency, so perhaps its not worth it if it is increasing the idle draw by that much.

Also just updated bios to 12.02, there doesn't seem to be any better multi core performance, but the single core has slightly improved since a few versions ago, now 1850 single core in CBr23 so about where it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

shiris

Cable Smoosher
Jan 27, 2023
Strange that yours didn't have a VRM heatsink msystems, mines came with one like the review picture.

Strange on the cinebench as well Wolfix,
. That's with updated bios and Thermalright AXP-90 X47 Full Copper cooler

Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Strange that yours didn't have a VRM heatsink msystems, mines came with one like the review picture.

Strange on the cinebench as well Wolfix,
. That's with updated bios and Thermalright AXP-90 X47 Full Copper cooler

Could you tell us what your cpu package power watts is in HWinfo is when you run cbr23 multicore?

I'm still trying to nail down exactly which processor it can fully use (or use the best.

shiris

Cable Smoosher
Jan 27, 2023
Could you tell us what your cpu package power watts is in HWinfo is when you run cbr23 multicore?

I'm still trying to nail down exactly which processor it can fully use (or use the best.

I forgot to reset it until 5 mins into the test so this is like starting from mins 5-10. I took a screenshot a few seconds too late after it ended but the average was 65 watts, though I did see it go up to 77 watts in the first 5 minutes. During the test the "core power limit exceeded" and "package/ring power limit exceeded" said yes too.

shiris

Cable Smoosher
Jan 27, 2023
I forgot to say that I saw the bios default values were something like:
long power limit (pl1): 65w
long power limit maintained: 28 seconds

Should I change any of those values?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Yes, Its possible to go higher to see if you get more performance. You could set the pl1 to 95 watts for 20-30 seconds or so

shiris

Cable Smoosher
Jan 27, 2023
Yes, Its possible to go higher to see if you get more performance. You could set the pl1 to 95 watts for 20-30 seconds or so

Tried the 95w for 20s
Score went up to 12k now and I didn't get either of the power limit exceeded. Looks like the average watt went up by 5

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Good news, I believe that is about the same as what ITX gets with the the 12400. Seems that it works well with the Deskmini and isn't being power limited.

Reactions: shiris

SpaceTofu

Caliper Novice
Jun 18, 2019
Hello all,
I'm considering to get a deskmini b660.

I understand that there's a max TDP of 65W ( which if I understand correctly from some of the posts here it can be slightly overridden)

In my current miniITX setup I've always used T CPUs.
I appreciate they have a slower clock speed, but I'm really not a technical person.

So when it comes to decide for example between a 12500 and a 12500T, the 12500 at default draws 65W.
Meanwhile the lower clocked 12500T at default draws 35W, but it has the ability to go to Turbo mode that draws 74W, which hopefully the board will be able to support.

Wouldn't it be better to have a CPU which is capable of going to Turbo when needed, rather than always being at default and thus also always consuming more power, running hotter, being more noisy?
Especially seeing how the turbo multiplier for the two CPUs is 4.6 Vs 4.4 ( and the standard 12500 won't anyway be able to go in Turbo seeing it draws it maximum TDP at default state?)

Thanks

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Hello all,
I'm considering to get a deskmini b660.

I understand that there's a max TDP of 65W ( which if I understand correctly from some of the posts here it can be slightly overridden)

In my current miniITX setup I've always used T CPUs.
I appreciate they have a slower clock speed, but I'm really not a technical person.

So when it comes to decide for example between a 12500 and a 12500T, the 12500 at default draws 65W.
Meanwhile the lower clocked 12500T at default draws 35W, but it has the ability to go to Turbo mode that draws 74W, which hopefully the board will be able to support.

Wouldn't it be better to have a CPU which is capable of going to Turbo when needed, rather than always being at default and thus also always consuming more power, running hotter, being more noisy?
Especially seeing how the turbo multiplier for the two CPUs is 4.6 Vs 4.4 ( and the standard 12500 won't anyway be able to go in Turbo seeing it draws it maximum TDP at default state?)

Thanks
You could try it. T processor might have lower idle and base power draw, but it also has less performance. You also could just get a 12400, which is the best value for this platform & it would outperform the 12500T on multi core for lower cost.

Reactions: SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu

Caliper Novice
Jun 18, 2019
@msystems thanks for the input. In the end I got a 12500 as couldn't find a 12500t.

Now, small issue.
I just received the DeskMini b660.
Assembled everything and it doesn't boot!!

It switches on, LED light on, fan spinning, however no video signal (neither HDMI nor display port) and also the keyboard doesn't lit up.

Did I screw up my choice of memory?

I went for a

Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL22
CT2K16G4SFRA32A

Conscious it wasn't listed on the supported RAM page, however from a spec perspective it seems to me it should be compatible.

Any clue at all?
Please, please would really appreciate some help, it's been a month I'm without PC and was really looking forward to starting this one up !

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
If you reset bios, single dimm, and still no boot, check that the socket pins aren't bent as it is a possibility.

Reactions: Phuncz