Resources!

We've added a major new feature to the site in the form of Resources, a section of the forum that hosts an organized collection of downloadable/viewable resources. This is mainly intended for 3D models of things like motherboards, video cards, etc. for those intending to design their own case or simply planning out a build, but it'll also host guides, tips, and other useful information.

It can be accessed via the Resources link in the navigation menu at the top of the site. Things like the categories and such will need refinement as more people start uploading and using the system so please take a look and let us know what you think!

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Awesome feature, thank you so much for this! Maybe my Inventor PC Parts Library will be fleshed out enough one day to be publicised here one day.

This will hopefully help upcoming case designers with their first steps.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very nice addition ! This will put this site even more so on the map of the SFF world !

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Something that would be nice for Resources would be a tag system where you add the file-type in the title.

So the accurate Motherboard and PCIe models could be tagged [SketchUp], other tags would be [STEP], [IGES], [SLDPRT] or [IPT], maybe you could even filter after those tags. Of course, if you had a resource in multiple file formats, you would use multiple tags. Is that something that can be implemented into the UI?

Reactions: Regack and Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Done.

Looks nicer but the downside is multiple Prefixes can't be selected. So for now I just made an extra prefix for the main combo: .SKP/.STP

Reactions: iFreilicht

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Thanks! Not the most beautiful sollution but certainly functional. Could you add .IPT for us Inventor users as well? I don't know how such a tag system for a combination of tags could even be implemented with XenForo.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There's an add-on for multiple prefixes but it doesn't support Resources yet.

I forgot to add Other but I'd prefer files be uploaded in an interchangeable format like STEP instead of program specific formats. I know just among the people already registered that SolidWorks, Inventor, Solid Edge, and SpaceClaim are used so uploading in native formats isn't ideal.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I added a field for product page URL.

Would you all like to see lots of metadata fields per category or should it be kept simple?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
There's an add-on for multiple prefixes but it doesn't support Resources yet.

I forgot to add Other but I'd prefer files be uploaded in an interchangeable format like STEP instead of program specific formats. I know just among the people already registered that SolidWorks, Inventor, Solid Edge, and SpaceClaim are used so uploading in native formats isn't ideal.

I see, that makes sense.

I added a field for product page URL.

Would you all like to see lots of metadata fields per category or should it be kept simple?

It would help in some regards, but what would those metadata fields be? I guess footprint for mainboards would be an important point and accurate dimensions on GPUs, but other fields should be carefully decided on to not clutter the metadata.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks! Not the most beautiful sollution but certainly functional. Could you add .IPT for us Inventor users as well? I don't know how such a tag system for a combination of tags could even be implemented with XenForo.

As an Inventor user myself I would not recommend this. I can understand where you are coming from but I would like us to all stick to either SKP or STP. If there is something I absolutely loathe about grabcad it's all the solidworks only models that are on there. If you want to share your work ALWAYS make it available in a STP for cross program compatibility.

If you are looking to implement this, please add a line that says something like:
Please consider adding a STEP version of your part to ensure wider use among other 3D modeling software.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My plan is to eventually make all the SketchUp files available in .STEP format.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yes, Qinx you're right, I was a bit shortsighted with that comment.

My plan is to eventually make all the SketchUp files available in .STEP format.

Wouldn't that require completely rebuilding them in a body-based modelling software? As far as I know, there's no automatic way to convert SKP to STEP, is there?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I just received my license key for SpaceClaim 2016 today so I'll take the opportunity to rebuild my workstation (switching to the ASUS X99-M WS) this weekend and get it installed.

SpaceClaim has worked with the SketchUp team so it has native import/export for .SKPs. So it won't be a big deal for me to convert all the SketchUp files to .STEP.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It does, I've tested it with a trial version. Quality of the import depends on the quality of the SketchUp model, if all the geometry is 'watertight' then it'll import cleanly as a solid body.

Export works well though of course it has to convert curves and such to approximations.

Reactions: iFreilicht

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Is there a way to add a resource icon after uploading? It isn't there if I edit the post. I mean the little 96x96 icon.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
On the model page, in the sidebar under "Resource Tools", is there not a "Edit Resource Icon"?

There isn't a user permission setting for editing resource icons so everyone should be able to.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Ah found it. I was looking under regular edit, it didn't occur to me that the sidebar had the option. Thanks!