Discussion Arctic liquid freezer 2 280 issues - 280mm AIO recommendations?

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Just a little vent due to frustration of todays events.

I finally managed to get my SFF build underway today in a Fractal Core 500 (Great case btw), everything is great except my AIO of choice....

1) They didn't put the screws for AM4 mounting in the packaging, luckily I had some which where roughly the right size
2) The pump whines at an audible level when the fans aren't spinning, remounted just incase the screws where putting too much pressure on the fixing but no change
3) The VRM fan is noisey (clicking), more audible than 2), if I can work out how to host the clip i'll post it here
4) Thermal performance isn't great, im assuming 2) has something to do with this but a 3900XT hit 81C with PBO2 (4.1GHz), 3600 CL16 XMP and 1800 Fabric clock on cinebench R23

Needless to say im going to return it.

Has anyone had any good experiences with 280mm coolers they could recommend please?

EDIT: Seems im not the only one:

Last edited:

MrJvr

Caliper Novice
Jan 18, 2021
Hey there. That sounds like a shocking experience there! Could it have been second hand?
I have the arctic 420mm AIO and all round it's been astounding!
All fixings were present, I've never heard the pump or the VRM fan and this is an open build sitting under my monitor so I hear everything lol.
I would 100% suggest you return and purchase from another seller as it may be an older/dodgy batch, other than the plastic casing on the cooling block, everything else about this kit feels high quality and it performs superbly (I had it on a 3950x & 3900x).