Enclosure APU Case Roundup?

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Hey guys, not too frequent poster here. Is there a roundup of APU cases available at this time? I have not been active for a while, not sure what's out there.

Thanks!

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Hey guys, not too frequent poster here. Is there a roundup of APU cases available at this time? I have not been active for a while, not sure what's out there.

Thanks!

What were you looking for in particular? Minimum size or dimensions(height/thickness versus area), brickless or bricked? Asrock A300W Deskmini seems fairly popular around here.

Reactions: janas19

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
What were you looking for in particular? Minimum size or dimensions(height/thickness versus area), brickless or bricked? Asrock A300W Deskmini seems fairly popular around here.
@janas19 There isn't a roundup but if you tell us exactly what you need we'll help you find whatever is perfect for your use case, as @Stevo_ said.

Thank you guys. I'm mainly interested in aluminum unibody cases. A company called Streacom made some a few years ago, but they were geared towards audio/HTPC use. I'm hoping to find newer, modern cases designed for APU living room gaming . Haven't yet decided on brick or brickless. I prefer internal PSUs but I know it increases the size of the case significantly.

Reactions: Windfall

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Thank you guys. I'm mainly interested in aluminum unibody cases. A company called Streacom made some a few years ago, but they were geared towards audio/HTPC use. I'm hoping to find newer, modern cases designed for APU living room gaming . Haven't yet decided on brick or brickless. I prefer internal PSUs but I know it increases the size of the case significantly.

Streacom is still around, they and HDPlex make a fairly complete set of fanless chassis that can be built brick or brickless depending on choices, HDPlex very chunk aluminum. On this site there's a couple of project cases that might fit the bill as well like the Mjolnir or Circle Pro, on the mass production side the SIlverstone Fortress is maybe in the category but all are large-ish to large for APU builds tho expansion options aplenty. If other materials like steel are not a problem J-Hack Pure also on this site a good brick or brickless option, as well the Lone L5 also here has options (check out my sig rig if you're in the US). Most of the builds in the build section are more gaming oriented SFF.

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Streacom is still around, they and HDPlex make a fairly complete set of fanless chassis that can be built brick or brickless depending on choices, HDPlex very chunk aluminum. On this site there's a couple of project cases that might fit the bill as well like the Mjolnir or Circle Pro, on the mass production side the SIlverstone Fortress is maybe in the category but all are large-ish to large for APU builds tho expansion options aplenty. If other materials like steel are not a problem J-Hack Pure also on this site a good brick or brickless option, as well the Lone L5 also here has options (check out my sig rig if you're in the US). Most of the builds in the build section are more gaming oriented SFF.
J-Hack Pure sounds like it would be what you want, I believe MK2 is in development right now!

Awesome, it sounds like the J-Hack Pure or Lone L5 would be right up my alley! Thank you very much!

Reactions: August

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
..., brickless or bricked? ....

We really need to decide on lingo here - brickless is fine but "bricked" is just awful. I winced everytime I saw it mentioned - reminded me of the anxiety everytime I try to flash 3rd party rom in my android devices, or bios / firmware flashing if that matter.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I propose few options:
  • Con mattone (like that dish, pollo al mattone) - sort of "with brick"
  • Avec brique, or.. Au brique. Kinda sounds like oblique..
Or for a bit of fun:
  • Vis a brick (a play on 'vis a vis' - let's just say it means "your-face-to-a-brick")
  • Brickeroo (just sounds right.. ya wanna run ya rig brickeroo oight mate)

Disclaimer: I am neither french nor italian, and I do not speak these languages so I just pull that outta my arse.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Or maybe we can swap the pc to brick relationship 180°...

For example say that the pc is "tethered" to a brick...

Or "dongled"... stupid i know.

Reactions: August

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
OK, following along with that line of thought how about this; brickless comes on the inside, brick comes on the outside. That should be clear where you want to be ;).