Storage Anyone know if these QNAP card work in a normal pc?

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
Original poster
May 15, 2020
been looking at ways to get maximum nvme into smallest packages, and stumbled on thi along the way, not what i was looking for, but it made me curious at the same time about the potential of using one of these in a Lenovo P3X0 tiny in place of the GPU to end up with 1ltr machine with 4xnvme and dual 2.5gb ethernet.
anyone done it, or know if they do work that way? Given it has a pci switch built in, I cannot see why not?
QNAP QM2-4P-384 Dual M.2 SSD & Dual 2.5GbE Network and Storage Card | PLE Computers

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
Original poster
May 15, 2020
yeah i saw that, probably wasnt clear in my post, but i wasnt sure if it would work fully featured, given 4x pci, but i suppose it does have a pci switch so should be okay and therefore not reliant on mb bifurcation. guess thats what they point you to the ILM driver?
might just have to try one out.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
Original poster
May 15, 2020
update for you all,
after some change in personal circumstances back and forth and attempt to sell my P350 tiny. i managed to keep it and gain a dell precision laptop with Quadro T2000, so had no need for the T1000 in the Tiny. . . so I ordered a similar card from Qnap, as my budget was quite low, and grabbed a QM2-2P-244A card to replace the gpu in my P350. as the P350 doesn't offer bifurcation support, you do need the card with the PCI switch on board.

few notes on instal, the gpu backplate from the tiny's screws do not line up with those on the Qnap card so you end up mounting the backplate to the chassis but not the card, the LED's do lineup with the minidp ports though so thats nice.
as the backplate is not attached, and the pci card is only 4x i think (short) it doesn't lock in to the pci slot either, so you need to find other ways to secure, my temp solution till i can get some brackets printed up is a rubber band around the card.

the other thing to take note of, is the card is longer than the Quadro GPU's so you need to remove the BT antenna bracket to fit the card in, you can then unstick the sticky tape holding the antenna to this bracket off and shove it down the side of the pci slot (im sure there is more elegant options)

all up and running nice now with 3 2tb drives and a 512 for OS, plan to replace one 2tb and the 512 with 4tb drives at some point in the future and move away from server 2022 bare metal that im running right now to a virtualised environment.
stoked to have a 1ltr sever with 8cores, 16threads, 32gb ram and 4 nvme drives now, just wish it had thunderbolt onboard also, will consider looking into one of the qnap cards that offer faster ethernet Aswell as the nvme slots down the line.

Reactions: Phuncz and gman501

m-i-c-k-e-y

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2018
The P360 Ultra has an additional Pcie 3.0 x8 slot aside from the Pcie 4.0 x16 occupied by discreeet graphics.
With that slot I bought a QNAP QM2-2P10G1TB. A 1 x 10GbE with 2 x M.2 NVMe 2280 expansion card. For network and addtional storage. As the above poster now I have 4 x M.2 ( x2 on board and x2 on expansion card).

QNAP QM2-2P10G1TB is with copper heatsink.

4 x M.2 - 2 slots on system board (1 occupied, system) and two on QNAP board (2 occupied, data)

Just bought an identical M.2 of the one on the system board. Will do RAID 0 for system disk this week.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
Original poster
May 15, 2020
nice
i looked at the card with the 10g ethernet, but my budget wouldn't stretch.
actually, at the point once again where i may need to sell my tiny :(

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2019
nice
i looked at the card with the 10g ethernet, but my budget wouldn't stretch.
actually, at the point once again where i may need to sell my tiny :(
I still have the 10GbE model that takes two m.2 SSDs. I used it for SSD caching in my server until quite recently.