Help with hdplex 300w and power supplies in general

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi all, looking for some feed back into the feasibility of a project I have in mind as well as some pointers in where to look for more information in relevant areas.
Building a passive enclosure for my zotac magnus en970, but want to also encorporate an internal ac-dc psu, most likely in the form of one of hdplex's units. In this case both the hdplex and the existing power brick output 19v and my understanding is current is determined by the draw of the components and that the power supply just have to be capable of maximum draw, is this correct? The second question I have in regards to this is what is the connector on the hdplex? Website lists it as 6 pin molex which I can't find any mention of but it looks like a pci-e power cable but I thought they were only carried 12v not the 19v listed output, can anyone identify the connector and make a suggestion for converting to a 19v barrel jack.

As a stretch goal if that goes to plan I'd like to extend the enclosure to include my jmgo view pico projector. Now back of the envelope calculations show 300w should more than cover both as long as losses in stepping down the voltage aren't massive. Which leads me to the next question, the projector requires 13.6v 4.2a, what would be the. Most effective and safest way to step down? Would it a DIY buck conveyor or is there an off the shelf component which would be preferable.

In both cases I'm aware of risks involved to myself and hardware and won't proceed until I'm happy I have a good understanding but would appreciate both suggestions off the shelf solutions or areas to research in order to improve my understanding for a DIY option.

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Hi all, looking for some feed back into the feasibility of a project I have in mind as well as some pointers in where to look for more information in relevant areas.
Building a passive enclosure for my zotac magnus en970, but want to also encorporate an internal ac-dc psu, most likely in the form of one of hdplex's units. In this case both the hdplex and the existing power brick output 19v and my understanding is current is determined by the draw of the components and that the power supply just have to be capable of maximum draw, is this correct? The second question I have in regards to this is what is the connector on the hdplex? Website lists it as 6 pin molex which I can't find any mention of but it looks like a pci-e power cable but I thought they were only carried 12v not the 19v listed output, can anyone identify the connector and make a suggestion for converting to a 19v barrel jack.

As a stretch goal if that goes to plan I'd like to extend the enclosure to include my jmgo view pico projector. Now back of the envelope calculations show 300w should more than cover both as long as losses in stepping down the voltage aren't massive. Which leads me to the next question, the projector requires 13.6v 4.2a, what would be the. Most effective and safest way to step down? Would it a DIY buck conveyor or is there an off the shelf component which would be preferable.

In both cases I'm aware of risks involved to myself and hardware and won't proceed until I'm happy I have a good understanding but would appreciate both suggestions off the shelf solutions or areas to research in order to improve my understanding for a DIY option.

Check out my project: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/my-ryzen-scratch-build-hackintosh.3630/
As I used both HDPLEX AC to DC and DC to DC. You can trace the connectors in the photos.

I elected to put the HDPLEX AC to DC unit inside the case because I thought it needed some active cooling. Also the AC to DC unit draws power in system "Stand By" mode. And if I shut down this system, I remove the AC input power from the system.

Neil

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Just curious, what's stopping you from putting the bricks that came with them (the magnus and the projector) inside the case instead of looking at getting a new one to power both?

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Just curious, what's stopping you from putting the bricks that came with them (the magnus and the projector) inside the case instead of looking at getting a new one to power both?
Neatness as much as anything, would like to shrink down the enclosure and ideally have a single plug running to it. That and just the novelty and learning experience of a bit of a project