Anyone ever used Buyee (Japanese Shipping Proxy)?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
PayPal almost always sides with the buyer. So you should be okay but it may take some time to get everything processed.
That's good news, thanks for reassuring me. I hope they don't accidentally ship my order before then.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Great, can you give an estimated expense on getting it to California?

not sure we will have to see receipts

might have to be like

paypal me with gift
she uses my paypal debit #
gets shipped to her house
might be taxed?
she might rebox it into a smaller box
customs papers (written)
then the ship out
shipping reimbursement
big tip

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
not sure we will have to see receipts

might have to be like

paypal me with gift
she uses my paypal debit #
gets shipped to her house
might be taxed?
she might rebox it into a smaller box
customs papers (written)
then the ship out
shipping reimbursement
big tip
I'll have to see then, but it's hard to know without solid pricing or if Buyee is cheaper.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I used Buyee to buy a Galax 950 LP last year and it worked great. It was however very very expensive when all was said and done.

Reactions: Phuncz

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
I've used the forwarding service Celga for quite some time (30+ orders). But it is quite expensive, can't say otherwise.

I see it as a way of reducing shipping while being able to order things not shipped internationally (or with high international shipping cost). Usually bring home the stash one or two times a year.

I will say that they are notoriously bad at stating the correct value of items in the customs papers. I've tired of complaining...

Reactions: Biowarejak

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I will say that they are notoriously bad at stating the correct value of items in the customs papers.

You mean they follow the law? The horrors!

But seriously, misstating the value is a big no no. It may be fine for the occasional personal sale on eBay but someone doing lots of shipments like a forwarding service wouldn't escape notice from customs for very long. Especially in Japan given how much of sticklers they are for rules and regulations.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
You mean they follow the law? The horrors!

But seriously, misstating the value is a big no no. It may be fine for the occasional personal sale on eBay but someone doing lots of shipments like a forwarding service wouldn't escape notice from customs for very long. Especially in Japan given how much of sticklers they are for rules and regulations.

Indeed, I'd prefer if they were more honest in that regard. I don't want my shipments intercepted by customs and get issued fees for improper labeling in addition to tax.
Insurance wont cover the real value of the shipment either.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Hmm, they just received the package in their warehouse and I just paid the quite minimal ($14 USD) fee to get it shipped to me, it seems that is the only fee I have to pay and I would be quite happy if that is the case, in total it would have only been around $210 to get an ELSA 1050 ti to me.

Reactions: Kwirek

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Hmm, they just received the package in their warehouse and I just paid the quite minimal ($14 USD) fee to get it shipped to me, it seems that is the only fee I have to pay and I would be quite happy if that is the case, in total it would have only been around $210 to get an ELSA 1050 ti to me.

I'd expect you'll have to pay customs too, but that is mostly unavoidable.

Do you know what kind of shipping they used for that price? EMS?
Did you use any of their coupons to reduce it?

Just curious since I registered a while back but got turned off by the lack of estimated shipping fees.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I'd expect you'll have to pay customs too, but that is mostly unavoidable.

Do you know what kind of shipping they used for that price? EMS?
Did you use any of their coupons to reduce it?

Just curious since I registered a while back but got turned off by the lack of estimated shipping fees.
I used SAL, and no coupons.

Reactions: Kwirek

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
SAL is basically.

"OH theres room for some more shipments"

/SHOVES IT INTO WHATEVER they are shipping it in.

or if theres no room your shit sits there till theres room.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Not sure how SAL works but its possible that its by boat because SAL takes like 1 to 2 months to get. The worst I've gotten was a month and a half. the best was a little under a month to a month.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Not sure how SAL works but its possible that its by boat because SAL takes like 1 to 2 months to get. The worst I've gotten was a month and a half. the best was a little under a month to a month.
I paid via Registered Small Package(SAL). On their website, this is essentially cheap air mail. I think what you were using was their slowest service, mine is only supposed to take two weeks. See here.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
I thought this was via air (then land when it hits domestic), and yours was through air? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

It is I was blowing the whole ship thing out of proportion because it's legitimately "snail paced mail" basically SAL is put into the plane "if there's room" EMS and whatever gets priority over SAL that means your SAL package can sit in Japan until a plane has room for it.