anyone else running 2x 3.5" drives on their ncase? what is your cooling setup?

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
just wondering what the cooling setup for any other users using 2x 3.5" drives on their ncase

my current cooling is a noctua nh-l12s as exhaust with 92mm rear fan as exhaust and a 140mm fan on the side bracket also as exhaust.

gets a bit warm in there, wondering if there are any better setups

razwhee

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 15, 2021
Yup, currently running 2x3.5" drives and cooling a 3900X with an NH-C14 with Arctic P14 on the top and NF-A12x25 on the underside. Also have a NF-A9x14 doing exhaust.

Formerly ran NH-C14S with NF-A12x15 and NF-A12x25 on the underside and after all the fuss of finding an original C14 to run a 140mm fan, I can't say I see a substantial difference (noise normalised) from all the extra effort, maybe the top end is more effective(??). I've definitely not done anything remotely scientific in terms of testing though. So I'd probably point you towards the NH-C14S over the NH-C14 just because it's way more available.

The key to running a 'proper' heatsink with 2x3.5" drives was a custom mounting bracket, I used this one (not my design) - NCase M1 3.5in hard drive mounts* - I don't have a 3d printer, so I ordered it from an online shop, maybe cost $15 printed in ABS and posted iirc?!

*pro tip, you only need one of the two brackets in the build: the weird shaped one. I think this one might also work too.

That 3D printed bracket is probably the best thing I've done with my M1 because of what it allowed me to do with CPU cooling. 10/10 thoroughly recommend.

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Yup, currently running 2x3.5" drives and cooling a 3900X with an NH-C14 with Arctic P14 on the top and NF-A12x25 on the underside. Also have a NF-A9x14 doing exhaust.

Formerly ran NH-C14S with NF-A12x15 and NF-A12x25 on the underside and after all the fuss of finding an original C14 to run a 140mm fan, I can't say I see a substantial difference (noise normalised) from all the extra effort, maybe the top end is more effective(??). I've definitely not done anything remotely scientific in terms of testing though. So I'd probably point you towards the NH-C14S over the NH-C14 just because it's way more available.

The key to running a 'proper' heatsink with 2x3.5" drives was a custom mounting bracket, I used this one (not my design) - NCase M1 3.5in hard drive mounts* - I don't have a 3d printer, so I ordered it from an online shop, maybe cost $15 printed in ABS and posted iirc?!

*pro tip, you only need one of the two brackets in the build: the weird shaped one. I think this one might also work too.

That 3D printed bracket is probably the best thing I've done with my M1 because of what it allowed me to do with CPU cooling. 10/10 thoroughly recommend.
Hey thanks for the reply, was too busy to check here due to a new job

i have both of those 3d printed brackets, i ordered both just in case.

which motherboard are you using for the c14/c14s? did the heat pipes touch any of your mobo's heatsinks (specially the vrm heatsinks).

Also, how is the clearance from the end of the c14 and the 2 hard drives?

i'm using a asus z370-i and had to remove the heatsink towards the rear exhaust fan since the heatpipe from the nh-l12s was interfering with it.

i was considering the c14s or the bequiet dark rock tf.