News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
For those with the Gigabyte board, I have a question from a novice at water cooling...

So I'm sitting here with my case in front of me with just the Alphacool Eisbaer LT and radiator fans left to go to complete my build and I'm befuddled as to how to take the wee three pin female connector (not a four pin sized but with three pins) and tie it in to my extension coming off the radiator fans, which is your standard 4 pin PWM female connection, so I can hook things up to the CPU fan header... One person with the same pump, case, Mobo, and fans said he had a Noctua three way splitter and used that to plug it all in to the CPU header? My Noctua y-splitters don't seem to like that idea.

The Gigabyte board doesn't have a pump header, and this isn't a standard fan header... so wtf do I put it?
It's a 3 pin fan connector. Hook the 2 fans with the y cable to one motherboard header, hook the 3 pin from the pump to the other. Gigabyte boards do both PWM and voltage control, go into the BIOS and change the header with the pump to voltage and you will be able to set a curve for the pump.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
Any 4 pin PWM header will run a 3 pin fan because of the tab on the mount. There is a PWM to 3pin voltage transformer by Phobya too.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/medi...eb1b429363ea37f466aff726535/1/0/1011749-1.jpg

http://www.performance-pcs.com/phobya-4pin-pwm-auf-3pin-transformer-single.html

O
Can't most decent motherboards these days do DC voltage control on most fan headers anyhow?

But yeah, running a 3-pin off a 4-pin header is no problem at all. For an AIO pump I wouldn't even worry about speed control unless it's excessively noisy. Btw, running all three (2 fans + pump) off a single header might be a bad idea unless the header is specifically marked as high current - check the manual. Worst case scenario the header might burn out and short something on the motherboard. Not an ideal situation.

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
Can't most decent motherboards these days do DC voltage control on most fan headers anyhow?

But yeah, running a 3-pin off a 4-pin header is no problem at all. For an AIO pump I wouldn't even worry about speed control unless it's excessively noisy. Btw, running all three (2 fans + pump) off a single header might be a bad idea unless the header is specifically marked as high current - check the manual. Worst case scenario the header might burn out and short something on the motherboard. Not an ideal situation.

I think they can do PWM or voltage. The newer boards seem to boast a "auto detect" feature that detects what is plugged into the header, 3 or 4 pin fan, AIO pump, flow meter ect.

O

Reactions: rfarmer

TheArkratos

Caliper Novice
Mar 26, 2019
For those with the Gigabyte board, I have a question from a novice at water cooling...

So I'm sitting here with my case in front of me with just the Alphacool Eisbaer LT and radiator fans left to go to complete my build and I'm befuddled as to how to take the wee three pin female connector (not a four pin sized but with three pins) and tie it in to my extension coming off the radiator fans, which is your standard 4 pin PWM female connection, so I can hook things up to the CPU fan header... One person with the same pump, case, Mobo, and fans said he had a Noctua three way splitter and used that to plug it all in to the CPU header? My Noctua y-splitters don't seem to like that idea.

The Gigabyte board doesn't have a pump header, and this isn't a standard fan header... so wtf do I put it?

Honestly... I just went with a corsair commander pro set up for my liquid cooling set up on the Gigabyte board. Because it allows me to use a temp sensor in the loop (coolant temp) and use that to control the fans, which is a much better setup in my opinion. Bonus points because it gave me a good RGB implementation and fan control, while I'm already using their software for my keyboard and mouse.

Reactions: Obakemono

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I've managed to put the black ridge on the gigabyte x570 itx. For now temps of the chip set are the same as before so the only minuses of the config is that one has to buy at least one of those 40mm noctuas that are stupidly expensive, and that it fits tight with the riser cable. What do you think?

Black ridge and gigabyte x570 itx
P. S. First time using Imgur, I'll fix it in a moment if the pics don't show or anything

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Interesting... how much of the chipset heatsink have you removed? just the fan part? can you still fit an nvme drive there? apparently you can fit the full chipset fan config in there as long as you shift the fan over a bit. I guess you can't try that without taking the cpu cooler off again. I'm looking to do something very similar myself.

EDIT: oops, this was meant to be a reply to paulesko's comment.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Yes, I just removed the fan part, that is: two screws the fan plug and nothing is irreversible. I dont have a nvme drive yet, I have to buy more things for this pc but later in time, not yet... anyway I believe that there is enough room there to fit one because those small fans are more or less in the same place where the 30 mm stock fan is, so I´m not reducing the available room for a nvme.

With the stock chipset fan I don´t think theres a possibility to use the black ridge witout modifiyng the chipset heatsink because there is interferience between the two. maybe milling a milimeter or two is enough but you will have to do something like that. Neither the black ridge or the chipset heatsink can move a tiny bit once they are put in their places.

As long as temperatures go, Normally My chipset sits at 62 degrees while working and according to gigabyte the stock fan starts working at 61º when set to silent mode in the bios, so I guess is not that bad, although not ideal. Right now I have my case open with a 120mm fan over the black ridge because yesterday I was overclocking a bit to try how it behaves and the chipset is at 51º which is quite an improvement. When I´m rendering the chipset temperatures lowers as the cpu fans ramp up and cool everything under them, so for me this solution is working just fine.

I have a kolink rocket case and cannot put anything over the black ridge which is a shame, but on that configuration you even wont need the 40 mm fans... at least without a nvme drive of course.

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Yes, I just removed the fan part, that is: two screws the fan plug and nothing is irreversible. I dont have a nvme drive yet, I have to buy more things for this pc but later in time, not yet... anyway I believe that there is enough room there to fit one because those small fans are more or less in the same place where the 30 mm stock fan is, so I´m not reducing the available room for a nvme.

With the stock chipset fan I don´t think theres a possibility to use the black ridge witout modifiyng the chipset heatsink because there is interferience between the two. maybe milling a milimeter or two is enough but you will have to do something like that. Neither the black ridge or the chipset heatsink can move a tiny bit once they are put in their places.

As long as temperatures go, Normally My chipset sits at 62 degrees while working and according to gigabyte the stock fan starts working at 61º when set to silent mode in the bios, so I guess is not that bad, although not ideal. Right now I have my case open with a 120mm fan over the black ridge because yesterday I was overclocking a bit to try how it behaves and the chipset is at 51º which is quite an improvement. When I´m rendering the chipset temperatures lowers as the cpu fans ramp up and cool everything under them, so for me this solution is working just fine.

I have a kolink rocket case and cannot put anything over the black ridge which is a shame, but on that configuration you even wont need the 40 mm fans... at least without a nvme drive of course.

thanks for the info. when I said move the fan, I meant the black ridge cooler fan. I saw this post on reddit, which may or may not be of interest to you, but I was considered doing something similar. did your cooler come with the new mounting bracket?

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
thanks for the info. when I said move the fan, I meant the black ridge cooler fan. I saw this post on reddit, which may or may not be of interest to you, but I was considered doing something similar. did your cooler come with the new mounting bracket?

Ah ok, I havent seen that post, but it´s probably a good option although (as you say) I need to remove the heatsink from the motherboard in order to do it.

I don´t know if my cooler came with the new mounting braket to be honest ?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
What is that thing at the low (left) part of the board? I mean... I read everywhere that both(?) nvme drives are plugged to de dimm card... if so, what´s that thing? because it looks like another nvme to me.
RF shield for the audio subsystem. You're right that both m.2 drives are on the "soDIMM.2" card.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Ahh ok I see thank you! It looks like a very nice board to be honest. It has plenty of fan headers, good VRM, and I think its a good idea to put the chipset near de IO shield so you can cool it with the same system as the VRM.

edit: another sff user has just posted a pico of the board without heatsinks just a moment ago