News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Isn’t hero normally the intel board while crosshair the amd one?

Maximus for Intel.
Asus have decided to offer more boards in the Crosshair series (good news) and are using monikers we normally see on Intel boards (such as Hero) to differentiate.

Up to now they've only offered 1 Crosshair board each series and needed nothing more than Crosshair

Last edited:
Reactions: loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Darn, couldn’t ninja that post quick enough! I remembered right when I pushed the post button :)

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
edit: never mind.

Did he mention a release date?

7/7/2019 (unconfirmed) is being bounced all over the web as the release date for Zen 2 and X570 motherboards. (and Navi coincidentally)
I did hope to see something for AMD's 50th anniversary in May, this however seems unlikely.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Ooh, good, news is starting to trickle out! I'm watching motherboard features carefully to see if any theoretical jump to Ryzen 3000 would warrant a new motherboard or if I would plan on stealing my sister's AB350 Gigabyte board (as wonky as it is). Leaning toward new especially if there is a resurgence of mighty mini-ITX boards.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Isn't there already an Impact VIII? Makes things a bit confusing...

I'm running an Impact VI for my 4770k, and I'm pretty darn happy with it still as it was one of the first mITX motherboards with an M.2 slot. But, a new Impact is a tasty thought...

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
@masteraleph Not at this time but we're trying to get a review sample. You'll likely know more about it before we have the chance to finish reviewing it.

@Analogue Blacksheep We've seen 4-slots before (laptop mem) so it's not entirely out of the question. That being said, Ryzen doesn't support quad-channel so even if all 4 slots were occupied, it would only run dual-channel, and there's just not enough demand for 4 slots on an ITX to warrant it. Threadripper supports quad-channel but ASRock has told us that they did try and it was impossible for them, of all people, to make an TR-based ITX motherboard.

To compound the issue, according to Buildzoid at "Actually Hardcore Overclocking" the new x570 chipset runs really hot under certain use conditions and will require active cooling to prevent throttling. As a result, were about to a see a return of those little 40mm fans cooling the chipset and as you can imagine, it's going to be hard to fit all that on an ITX board. Buildzoid believes that companies will still sell boards with passive cooling but it will be left up to us to find creative ways to dissipate the heat to prevent thermal throttling.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
To compound the issue, according to Buildzoid at "Actually Hardcore Overclocking" the new x570 chipset runs really hot under certain use conditions and will require active cooling to prevent throttling. As a result, were about to a see a return of those little 40mm fans cooling the chipset and as you can imagine, it's going to be hard to fit all that on an ITX board. Buildzoid believes that companies will still sell boards with passive cooling but it will be left up to us to find creative ways to dissipate the heat to prevent thermal throttling.

Mounting holes permitting, Enzotech full copper chipset heatsinks will be a good starting point.
Never though I'd see chipset watercooling blocks again either but some will probably surface.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Threadripper supports quad-channel but ASRock has told us that they did try and it was impossible for them, of all people, to make an TR-based ITX motherboard.
oh geez o_o that's saying a lot. wonder what were the difficulties (something to do with the land map?)

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
He did specifically say that the x570 gets hot "under certain operating conditions" that seem to have to do with storage, so on an ITX board there may be ways (don't use chipset lanes for NVMe?) to avoid that scenario by just not allowing for those conditions to occur. We'll see.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@masteraleph Not at this time but we're trying to get a review sample. You'll likely know more about it before we have the chance to finish reviewing it.

@Analogue Blacksheep We've seen 4-slots before (laptop mem) so it's not entirely out of the question. That being said, Ryzen doesn't support quad-channel so even if all 4 slots were occupied, it would only run dual-channel, and there's just not enough demand for 4 slots on an ITX to warrant it. Threadripper supports quad-channel but ASRock has told us that they did try and it was impossible for them, of all people, to make an TR-based ITX motherboard.

I would of thought the presence of an LGA-3647 ITX board would of paved the way for a TR4/SP3 ITX board.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I would like to think so too. I am all for a TR4-ITX board myself.

However, there are rumors swirling that the TR4 platform may be killed off altogether with the release of their new R9-series processors. Recently, AMD removed TR processors from their roadmap for this year but I guess it's always possible that it's been pushed back to 2020. Also, the gentleman that was head of the Threadripper division is no longer with AMD so it's anyone's guess if that position has been filled or axed. Either way, without a shred of TR news, that leaves the TR4 platform with a questionable future.

The R9, in a much smaller package, with support for up to 16-cores and 40 PCIe 4.0 lanes is likely more affordable for all partners to support as well. This means that board partners won't have to invest resources to support two independent processor platforms under AMD ...AND, it also provides a stellar upgrade path for Zen2/Zen2+(2019/2020, AM4) owners. If AMD decides to take this route, with a small hit from their TR4 audience, this would help to deliver a tremendous blow to Intel's highly-segregated processor lineup.