All enclosures are handcrafted to order

Yorkfield

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Hi,

I'm interesed in ordering an A4 SFX V3 case in silver.

It says on the website:

All enclosures are handcrafted to order

Does that mean we could request small changes?

I would like the front panel to have no cut outs for the USB socket and the on/off switch.
The USB socket is negligible for me and I plan to place the on / off switch to the rear side.

Is this possible?

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think they mean that they hand make cases in their base configuration to order. I can pretty much assure you that they don't make cases a la carte as you are suggesting as the cost to do so would be prohibitive.

Yorkfield

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
I would not think that it is a big deal to - not - cut out the pieces from the front panel for switch and socket, unless the panels are already prepared and only need to be assembled. But okay, the case is twice as expensive as it should be anyway - thus only made for hard core fans.

It says $225.- which converts to approx 183.- Euro.
Are there gonna be additional costs for the buyer, like import tax, shipping ... ?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Most likely the cases are made with die-stamping and not cutting. This means that you'd have to physically change the die (thousands of dollars) to omit features.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Yorkfield

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
The A4 SFX will cost $225.-

+ $20.- for shipping / 3-4 weeks in transit, or
+ $30.- for shipping / 1-2 weeks in transit, or
+ $65.- for shipping / 5-8 business days in transit

+ about $50.- for customs = $295.- / 240.- Euro

+ CPU: i5 8600K = 211.30 Euro
+ CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9i = 38.32 Euro
+ Mainboard: Asus Z370-I Gaming Mini iTX = 183.32
+ RAM: G.Skill DDR4-2400 / 2x 16GB = 319.10 Euro
+ SSD: Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA = 158.13 Euro
+ GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB (single fan) = 350.- Euro
+ SFX PSU: Corsair SF Series SF450 Modular = 77.65.- Euro

Total: 1.577.82 Euro / about $1947.-

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
None of the Lian Li-produced cases (which includes all the cases currently on SFFLab) are "handcrafted" in any particularly meaningful sense. They are hand-assembled, but that's true of every mass-manufactured case (or, indeed, practically any complex consumer product at all). The only point of difference in the process is that the mass-manufactured cases are die-stamped, which means all the cutting and bending is done by machine. At Lian Li, the patterns for each case are cut by machine, but the bending is done in industrial press brakes by operators, who guide each part into the machine to make every single bend. It's only that last part that one could say makes these cases slightly more "handcrafted."

I had meant to scold @Wahaha360 for this bit of marketing fluffery previously, but it seems it's already causing some confusion (unsurprisingly). I trust that he and/or @PlayfulPhoenix will see the folly of this, and endeavor to correct it post-haste.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I agree that the language is bunk. I've been combing through product listings to state that products are made to order, and will do so throughout today, but feel free to mention to me if you see the phrase anywhere!

As a bit of context, the only reason we have the phrase stated at all is because it's important that product listings indicate that something is made to order, if we don't fulfill it immediately. Even for products we sell on an ongoing basis (rather than preorders, for instance), fulfillment and such happens in batches, which is an important distinction relative to the norm of 'order today, ship tomorrow'. So it's important for us to have the language present both to set the right expectation with the buyer, to avoid confusion and chargebacks and bad experiences all-around. (This is similarly why we have the big magenta alert banners at the top of product pages, which call out the specifics of shipping and otherwise, and are important for customers to know - we've found that having this information in the product description leads to some not reading it).