Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
With a 250w requirement, I'd like to incorporate the following into a build:

ITX
2 x 2.5" SSDs
37mm tall cooler
no GPU

Pretty sure I'm going with an Archdaemon PSU, and their internal 300w AC-DC unit: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...available-direct-order.1983/page-4#post-46337 which is about 25mm x 75mm x 165mm.

Ideally, I'd like a case that accomodates all this efficiently, but I have no ideas. The IN WIN Chopin and ANTEC ISK110 both seem slightly too narrow for the minimalist AC DC unit that will work. Any ideas?

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
PSU calculators sometimes overestimate needs. We can help you better if we know what CPU you intend to power :)

tmackerm

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
I agree that a CPU with no GPU that can be cooled by a 37mm tall cooler likely doesn't consume 250W, so I think you would be safe with less power such as the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX & HDPLEX 160W AC-DC combo.

I bet you could fit everything into a Streacom F7C Evo if you are looking for a small footprint

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
amd fx8150, not overclocked.
oh wow, an FX CPU? :eek: where did you find an ITX board for that? I didn't know they had those

Edit: wait, FX CPUs for AM3/AM3+ don't have integrated graphics o_O you'll need a graphics card to run it

Last edited:

idea1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
oh wow, an FX CPU? :eek: where did you find an ITX board for that? I didn't know they had those

Edit: wait, FX CPUs for AM3/AM3+ don't have integrated graphics o_O you'll need a graphics card to run it

Sorry, a friend offered me that CPU/MB (despite my mentioning that it was for a sff rig). Another option I have is an i5-2500k, which draws a little bit less, but not much. I'm still seeing a 190w load (240w rec.) for PSU.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I have an i5 2500k, it is actually a lot more frugal than the FX processor. If it is just 2500k + 2 SSDs then a 150 watt power supply would be sufficient. The PSU the Antec ISK 110 comes with is too weak, but the PSU inside the IN WIN Chopin should be good enough.

I'd recommend not using PSU calculators for doing builds with smaller power budgets :) the calculators are slanted towards typical full tower builds with CPU + GPU + HDD and where power supply size isn't an issue, so they often pad the power requirements.

Here is a review of the FX 8150, this page is a comparison of full system power draw during a heavy stress test. Note that the i5-2500k pulls just over half the power, with as many things being equal as possible - GPU, RAM, and Storage. Given that you wouldn't be using a GPU your power consumption would be even lower. Based on that (and my personal experience with a 2500k) a 150 watt power supply will work well :) you should have plenty of options from internal PSUs like in the IN WIN Chopin or HDPlex's 160 watt solution.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/9

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
The case I'm using for my HTPC should work for your case - Realan E i7.

It comes with a power brick but I'm going to be replacing mine with a Mean Well 200w internal unit. Will be making a thread in the coming weeks.

Reactions: idea1

idea1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Based on that (and my personal experience with a 2500k) a 150 watt power supply will work well :) you should have plenty of options from internal PSUs like in the IN WIN Chopin or HDPlex's 160 watt solution.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/9

That link shows a 133w draw at load for a full system, which corresponds with your experience. It's admittedly disconcerting to see a trusted calculator stating 190w at load for an itx w/no gpu. I don't understand that.

I like the Chopin (aside from a slightly airy front/bottom panel and it seems like it could draw dust in easily without finer mesh filters). Things could get smaller for this build spec,but the htpc options mostly seem to sit horizontal, which I'm not a fan of.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
It's admittedly disconcerting to see a trusted calculator stating 190w at load for an itx w/no gpu. I don't understand that.
You have to understand these calculators are aimed first and foremost for ATX system builders which comprises 90% of custom pc builds out there. The general rule is psus are cheap, get the biggest you can, size doesn't matter. And you know ATX cases - RGB everywhere, tower coolers, 10 case fans with RGB, big mechanical HDDs, optical drive, fan controllers... they have to be very conservative with wattage otherwise people start complaining when they start plugging in all the bell and whistles.

Reactions: owliwar

idea1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
You have to understand these calculators are aimed first and foremost for ATX system builders which comprises 90% of custom pc builds out there. The general rule is psus are cheap, get the biggest you can, size doesn't matter. And you know ATX cases - RGB everywhere, tower coolers, 10 case fans with RGB, big mechanical HDDs, optical drive, fan controllers... they have to be very conservative with wattage otherwise people start complaining when they start plugging in all the bell and whistles.

I don't know the hidden workings of these calculators, and I don't want to dismiss your statement about them, as you are likely right. I would note though, that such calculators account for every item you have listed, which makes the inconsistency between the calculator and multiple people stating 150 is fine even more strange if you ask me.

idea1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Believe what you want to believe mate.

As I stated, I wasn't dismissing your (and others) direct experience. I was only stating that the factors you mentioned are accounted for, making it a mystery.

Anyway, the AC-DC unit I mentioned seems tiny, & I'm wondering if anyone has a rec to use it in a case with previous mentioned specs I listed and a direct MB plugin DC-ATX. Seems one could go quite a bit smaller than Chopin (looking for vertical-standing).