Cooling Akasa 80mm Slim Fan questions

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone here is using or has used this Akasa 80mm x 10mm slim fan.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-FN076

Any input about its performance or even more importantly the acoustic profile of this fan would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of offering it as part of a low-profile cooling alternative for cooling my heatsink when it launches. Cheers,

KMPKT

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I remembered seeing someone post in the Lone L4 thread about that fan so I dug it up again, it was @ceski . Not sure if he's active here anymore though :)

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
I used 2 of them in my Limit Cube 2.

in my opinion they a pretty... meh... you have to throttle them really hard to get them somewhere near silent.
Never did noise measurement, but I think they are only usefull to add some airflow in a SFF case like my Limit Cube 2.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Thanks man. I kinda thought it would be likely that they aren't the best, but they're also pretty much the only game in town when it comes to 80 x 10mm fans.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Not much of a game in town for slim 80mm, that is true. I bought one to throw in the back of my Jonsbo U1 last week - it is currently re-packaged for return to Amazon.

Good ariflow actually, can't fault Akasa for that. The enter bearing is a little grindy and mine made a terrible ticking noise which annoyed me. It is true what @jottwehh says, you have to throttle them significantly to get that somewhere near silent. Mine also didn't start at its rated lowest RPM, which I couldn't have.

I couldn't recommend them unless noise wasn't a serious concern.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Had a pair in my L2 that were quieter than the Noise Blockers 80x15 black silent fans I had which always gave out a PWM buzz, also had both on Noctua ULNAs as I just wanted a slight airflow to prevent stagnant air, but Akasas were silent.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
On the scythe Jitte they were very loud and buzzy, but they seemed to cool effectively. So basically what Bledha said.