Advice requested for new build

keyboard_cat

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Hello!
I would like to get your thoughts on cooling needs for the following:

Dan A4-SFX4.1 case *or* (if I can take someone's spot..this would be my preferred plan..is that even a possibility?) Sentry 2.0
i9-9900 (65W tdp, non-k)
Asrock Z390 phantom ITX board
2x 16GB 3200Mhz sticks, probably G.Skill TridentZ cl 4's, ~45mm tall
Zotac rtx 2080 Super AMP (already have - it's an open, dual fan model, not a blower type)
(1) 960MB Adata M.2 ssd
(2) Samsung 500GB ssd's
Corsair SF600 platinum SFX psu

I'll also have an RME audio interface connected via USB 2, Ableton Push 2 midi controller via USB 2, and a Valve Index via USB 3

1 - do I need to undervolt?
2 - Is there an easy cooling solution for either case?
Dan a4: Noctua l9i with 10mm spacer, or Blackridge cooler (with some different fan? I was confused by the huge thread on this)
- is there any memory height consideration with the Blackridge?
3 - Is PSU overkill? I am looking for low noise
4 - do I need/would you recommend any additional case fans?

Any other suggestions? This is going on a boat where space is at a premium, and I'll probably even use remote desktop from a laptop so I don't have to bring along a monitor.. Therefore, if it is at all possible, I'd like to get a Sentry 2 case, but it seems like if you didn't get in early, it would be many months waiting.. It would be preferable to have this put together in October.

Thank you for your help!

keyboard_cat

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
I realized just now that the Louqe Ghost is also a good option.. it's only 1" wider, and a little shorter, than the Dan A4..
With that in mind, what would be the best cooling options there?

CaptainBigleux

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2019
you will be happy with the ghost. Just build one this WE (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/louqe-hash-ghost-with-3700x-and-2070-super.11452/)

you have more space for aircooler than DAN : L9x65, L12S bended...
But I regret my choice of the L9x65. Too hot where I live (32°C all year long), and too noisy because the fan is too close to the panel, and the holes of the panels are too small... so it wisthle like a jet.
I may try the L12S, but I probably go for an AIO as I fortunately anticipated the temp issue and bought the large top hat at the beginning.

CaptainBigleux

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2019
The new DAN 4.1 would be very good tough, as you can fit a 90mm AIO.
But you will have to wait till the end of the year, and the ghost is available now.

keyboard_cat

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
I'm leaning again towards the Dan actually.. I really do want that SFF.
The 92mm AIO - that's with a full length gpu card?
My understanding that the Dan could ship on the 18th of October from sfflab

keyboard_cat

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
you will be happy with the ghost. Just build one this WE (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/louqe-hash-ghost-with-3700x-and-2070-super.11452/)

you have more space for aircooler than DAN : L9x65, L12S bended...
But I regret my choice of the L9x65. Too hot where I live (32°C all year long), and too noisy because the fan is too close to the panel, and the holes of the panels are too small... so it wisthle like a jet.
I may try the L12S, but I probably go for an AIO as I fortunately anticipated the temp issue and bought the large top hat at the beginning.

I'll be in the Caribbean as well, living on a boat :) We have A/C in S. Fl. now, but water cooled is probably the best bet. Is the Asetek 645LT the one that would work and still allow full length gpu? Edit: Ah I see, it's not the GPU that is affected, but the drive bay.. No problem as I will be using M.2 drives

Last edited:

CaptainBigleux

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2019
I'm using 2x M.2 as well.
The issue is the noise of the CPU cooling, more precisely the fan too close with the panel creating whistle noise.
Will probably try a L12S.