[Advice] Realan H80s

vini

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to build my first sffpc and I've been looking for cases for a few weeks now and I keep coming back to the realan H80s.
Here is the config I would like to build:
Ryzen 2400g with the GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI

My question is, would the wraith stealth cooler be enough with this case?
Does anyone has experience with this case and knows how is the cpu temps?
Is the 150w psu that comes with the case somewhat reliable, or should I go with the picopsu?

I won't be gaming or overclocking it, is just for web browsing and web app development.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I'm running a 2400g in a Realan K3 case Stealth just fits, not optimal but for non gaming that cooler should be enough. If you can get the Rgeek L80 version with perforated top cover that would be better. The K3 covers about half the fan only an issue with something like h.265 video decoding when hardware acceleration not available, CPU can get to 90C. I'm running picopsu 160XT but I'd give the supply it comes with a try.

Reactions: vini

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I've been using the Realan E-i7 for a years and it has been just fine. Makes a great APU case. See my signature. Used the Realan supplied power board for several years and never had any issues.

I'm actually moving my setup into a different case this week and would be happy to sell you my Realan for cheap if you're interested. Take a look at my signature for more deets.

vini

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Thank you for the replies, I ended up buying a used j-hack pure, that one looks perfect to me! ?

vini

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
I'm running a 2400g in a Realan K3 case Stealth just fits, not optimal but for non gaming that cooler should be enough. If you can get the Rgeek L80 version with perforated top cover that would be better. The K3 covers about half the fan only an issue with something like h.265 video decoding when hardware acceleration not available, CPU can get to 90C. I'm running picopsu 160XT but I'd give the supply it comes with a try.
yeah, I was worried about the airflow with the stealth on the h80s, that's what was holding me back from buying! almost bought the rgeek one, but then I found the j-hack pure and ended up buying that instead! ?

vini

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
I've been using the Realan E-i7 for a years and it has been just fine. Makes a great APU case. See my signature. Used the Realan supplied power board for several years and never had any issues.

I'm actually moving my setup into a different case this week and would be happy to sell you my Realan for cheap if you're interested. Take a look at my signature for more deets.
whoa! Liked how you were able to fit the meanwell into that case! great job!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
whoa! Liked how you were able to fit the meanwell into that case! great job!
Yeah the build has evolved a lot over the years. I've definitely maxed out what that thing can do, time to move on to the Pure X.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
How is the 2400g on linux? everything works well?

Works great! The only issue so far is VLC hardware acceleration using the iGPU for h.265(probably VP9 as well) vids which are unwatchable using CPU decoding. But mpv takes up the slack there with some easy local config mods. I don't think VLC will work until v4 if I read the forums correctly but it might be a combination ffmpeg issue as well. Other than that niggle, the only other thing is the initial install, need to put a "nomodeset" in the grub like bringing up Nvidia cards to force software rendering mode. Loading Mint 19 on USB stick I had installed with kernel 4.15, in the first few blast of updates/reboots quickly went to 4.18 and then to 5.0x where everything seems to work with latest amdgpu and mesa drivers with the forementioned exception. Results vary by distro of course.

vini

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Works great! The only issue so far is VLC hardware acceleration using the iGPU for h.265(probably VP9 as well) vids which are unwatchable using CPU decoding. But mpv takes up the slack there with some easy local config mods. I don't think VLC will work until v4 if I read the forums correctly but it might be a combination ffmpeg issue as well. Other than that niggle, the only other thing is the initial install, need to put a "nomodeset" in the grub like bringing up Nvidia cards to force software rendering mode. Loading Mint 19 on USB stick I had installed with kernel 4.15, in the first few blast of updates/reboots quickly went to 4.18 and then to 5.0x where everything seems to work with latest amdgpu and mesa drivers with the forementioned exception. Results vary by distro of course.

That's good to know! Thank you!!! ?