Advice please!

MrTorgue

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster because I've confused the ever loving brown stuff out of myself :)

Just for the record, I LOVE my M1, I don't think I'd even consider another case at this point. Current setup (in an NCASE v1) is from 2014 - i4790k, Z97 Asus Impact VII, 16GB DDR3, Samsung xp941 SSD, EVGA GF980Ti, ROG Swift P278Q, Corsair SF600 PSU with custom cables, Noctua fans everywhere except under the GPU where there's nothing. It does pretty much everything I want at the moment except 1440p at consistent 60 FPS (I know that's the GPU's fault). SSD speeds aren't great either, but M2 options were rather limited back in 2014 :) I don't overclock anything either, but the system runs hot sometimes because the GPU dumps hot hair right back into the case, so when gaming I typically have to run it with the left panel off (which I don't particularly like).

My goal is silent as possible even when gaming, which I hear is realistic, especially with GPU deshrouding. Keeping temperatures sensible and reasonably low would be a nice bonus.

I'm wondering at this point what is going to be the most sensible upgrade path for me. I don't upgrade every year (evidently), so I'm expecting that if I do opt for a new build the machine should last 7 years or more. But with how well the 4790k has held up, I'm thinking realistically I have two options:

1) upgrade GPU and SSD only, fix GPU airflow, get new v6 vented side panels so I can leave the side panel on, then see what happens
2) complete new build in NCASE v6.1, sell entire old system and hope I get something reasonable for it

I'm not overly fussed about budget, I'll be writing it off as a business expense anyway; but would like to keep it under 2.5k if possible. I'll re-use monitor, mouse and keyboard. Monitor I may upgrade next year depending.

If I go new build, I'm set on most things I think: NCASE v6.1, Intel 10900F (no overclocking, much easier to air cool), 1TB M2 SSD, 64GB RAM, air cooling with C14S and other Noctua fans, Corsair SF750 with custom cables, 3080 (might wait for 3080Ti if rumours of it arriving within a few months are true). Mobo I'm not sure (see question 1). I'd likely swap the front panel on the M1 for the plain one with just the power button to give a little more space inside for the GPU and air (as I don't use ports on the front often at all).

Questions:
1) chipset for mobo - I feel Z series may be overkill for my needs (I don't overclock, only use one M2 SSD, don't need tons of USB ports, don't need WiFi built in, not particularly bothered about Type C). Should I go Z490 anyway as it cools itself better, or opt for H470 or even B460? With the devices I'm using I'm not sure how many PCI lanes I'll need or potentially want, or whether opting for fewer will restrict anything in the future.
2) mobo manufacturer - the Asus Impact VII gave me no problems but I hear they cheaped out significantly on their newer stuff; I'd rather pay a bit more for peace of mind than worry about something going kaput because I cheaped out. I'd also need something compatible with the C14S.
3) would the existing 4790k/16GB ram combo hold up for another good few years if I replace with 980Ti with a 3080 and the xp941 with something more capable?

Thanks to anyone who can help - like I said I've confused myself and made a million scenarios in my head.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Just some random thoughts:-

a. 4C8T 4790k should still be relevant and could still last for a couple years, depending on the (type of ) games you play. One way to find out and confirm is to monitor (using a software like AB) the CPU usage. If you constantly see 100% loading during gaming, then you know what it means.

b. 16GB memory is still adequate. 16GB back in 2014 was really an overkill frankly. That's why it is still adequate today. If you build a new system, 64GB is definitely another overkill. For an ITX mainboard, 2x8GB is still quite OK. If you wish, then 2x16GB is also good. Again, it depends on your games. You can basically use AB to monitor the amount of memory used.

c. 4790k and Asus Impact VII are waiting to be overclocked. If you do, then the CPU should last longer. If you are not good at overclocking, maybe you can use Asus' own AiSuite's Optimization (or something named like that) to auto overclock for you.

d. Maybe you need to work on the airflow of your M1. M1 is supposed to have good airflow design and should not require an owner to open the side panel during gaming. There are tons of M1 owners here who can surely help you out.

MrTorgue

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Just some random thoughts:-

a. 4C8T 4790k should still be relevant and could still last for a couple years, depending on the (type of ) games you play. One way to find out and confirm is to monitor (using a software like AB) the CPU usage. If you constantly see 100% loading during gaming, then you know what it means.

b. 16GB memory is still adequate. 16GB back in 2014 was really an overkill frankly. That's why it is still adequate today. If you build a new system, 64GB is definitely another overkill. For an ITX mainboard, 2x8GB is still quite OK. If you wish, then 2x16GB is also good. Again, it depends on your games. You can basically use AB to monitor the amount of memory used.

c. 4790k and Asus Impact VII are waiting to be overclocked. If you do, then the CPU should last longer. If you are not good at overclocking, maybe you can use Asus' own AiSuite's Optimization (or something named like that) to auto overclock for you.

d. Maybe you need to work on the airflow of your M1. M1 is supposed to have good airflow design and should not require an owner to open the side panel during gaming. There are tons of M1 owners here who can surely help you out.

Thanks tinyitx :)

I'll look into some CPU monitoring when playing games, I don't play as much these days but when I do I want it to be a top drawer experience.

I've never overclocked in my life, I suppose I could try it out and if I blow it up then I'll go new build anyway ?

For the airflow in my M1 - I have 92mm intake at the back, 2 120mm NF-F12s on the side as exhaust, C14 on the CPU blowing towards the side panel 120s. For non-gaming it's cool and quiet, but as soon as the 980Ti starts pumping out heat into the case I get a little worried - it's not a blower style GPU and if the side panel is on it just blasts the hot air into the side of the case where I'm sure it recirculates. There's no airflow under the GPU currently which is probably something I can rectify quite easily with some additional 120mm fans. It's the reason I'm thinking of just a 3080 upgrade and seeing what happens with that.

Maybe a sensible path would be SSD and GPU now, redo airflow to ensure it's optimised. If still not as good as I am hoping for, I can always put back the original bits and sell it as planned and then build something new...