Concept AC-DC PSU In GPU Form Factor

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
2.- refrigeration, at 91% efficiency peak power (500w) you still have to deal with almost 50 watts of heat... which doesn´t sound good if you put it between the motherboard and the graphics card.

This is where GaN comes in. I have a unit being shipped to me that is 12V, 200W and 95%+ efficient. If it tests out it'll really be (in my opinion) a pretty good leap forward for SFF power supplies. My long term goal (LONG TERM) would be to have small ~200W super efficient units that are DC-DC mergeable.

Reactions: paulesko and Sashby

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
This is where GaN comes in. I have a unit being shipped to me that is 12V, 200W and 95%+ efficient. If it tests out it'll really be (in my opinion) a pretty good leap forward for SFF power supplies. My long term goal (LONG TERM) would be to have small ~200W super efficient units that are DC-DC mergeable.

What’s the size of that sort of unit?

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
The 1 slot 245 mm gives me another idea, that would be enough for a 244x244 mATX case with five expansion slots for dual LP GPUs at 244*264*121 mm inner area. Or a 244 mm with a 4x NVMe expansion and GPU. Expand to a single 140x25 mm front fan and you would get a case that has ridiculous power in a tiny package - 270 * 245 * 140 inner area, add 5 mm for case on each side, and voila mATX with 125 cooler tower, 12TB max storage and 270 GPU available in 10L!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The 1 slot 245 mm gives me another idea, that would be enough for a 244x244 mATX case with five expansion slots for dual LP GPUs at 244*264*121 mm inner area. Or a 244 mm with a 4x NVMe expansion and GPU. Expand to a single 140x25 mm front fan and you would get a case that has ridiculous power in a tiny package - 270 * 245 * 140 inner area, add 5 mm for case on each side, and voila mATX with 125 cooler tower, 12TB max storage and 270 GPU available in 10L!

It has all sorts of possibilities!

How thick is it?

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I'm playing with the idea of making my latest tinkering build brickless. I have a space if I move the GPU into the second slot.

I'm thinking something like a TDK LAMBDA PFE300SA-12 could power a Pico PSU.

I was planing on using the new HDPLEX 200W unit, but its a bit big.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I'm playing with the idea of making my latest tinkering build brickless. I have a space if I move the GPU into the second slot.

I'm thinking something like a TDK LAMBDA PFE300SA-12 could power a Pico PSU.

I was planing on using the new HDPLEX 200W unit, but its a bit big.
Take in mind that those psus are not meant to work alone. You have to design a pcb to plug it on and filter both input and output, security stuff, hold up time caps, pfc filtering... So it's not a plug and play device

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Take in mind that those psus are not meant to work alone. You have to design a pcb to plug it on and filter both input and output, security stuff, hold up time caps, pfc filtering... So it's not a plug and play device

I took the fact that it already had PFC that any other electrical requirements would be minimal?

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019

This video shows an evaluation board, it just a reference design... Normally it has 20ms hold up time at full rated power and 120mv ripple design. On the video you can see the board, the brick and a heat sink over the brick itself.

The thing it's not small by any means per se, but you have freedom of design at your own risk

Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018

This video shows an evaluation board, it just a reference design... Normally it has 20ms hold up time at full rated power and 120mv ripple design. On the video you can see the board, the brick and a heat sink over the brick itself.

The thing it's not small by any means per se, but you have freedom of design at your own risk
That’s really useful. I’m still on the information gathering stage so that’s great, thank you!

deeree

Trash Compacter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 4, 2017

Actually there is a Taobao seller offering filtration PCB for the Mouser TDK PFE500S - 500W AC/DC unit the size of a 2,5in drive!

He also offered the unit itself, for quite a good price, I just cant find the listing anymore. You might try to reach him through some taobao agent (I personally use tiptrans.com).

@Kmpkt @Thehack

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Actually there is a Taobao seller offering filtration PCB for the Mouser TDK PFE500S - 500W AC/DC unit the size of a 2,5in drive!

He also offered the unit itself, for quite a good price, I just cant find the listing anymore. You might try to reach him through some taobao agent (I personally use tiptrans.com).

@Kmpkt @Thehack
That's very interesting, thanks.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
N

@Kmpkt @Thehack
Wow, this is awesome! I have never bought through taobao though, I'll look into it tomorrow

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Also I wonder... that pcb looks like it´s meant to have all smd caps, and I don´t know how is possible to make a good hold up time with those caps. You need like 550 mF at 450v more or less for 17ms of hold up time.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
And I wonder why there are no photos of finished boards in the description of the lot. Do they even exist?)
in addition, the board layout does not inspire confidence at all.
Also I wonder... that pcb looks like it´s meant to have all smd caps, and I don´t know how is possible to make a good hold up time with those caps. You need like 550 mF at 450v more or less for 17ms of hold up time.

See, I know little in the realm of electrical engineering.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Yeah. That's why any acdc you see has at least one big fat cap.

It's physics, no way to get around it, you need a big cap to have enough capacitance.

You can probably use smaller caps and more of them to keep it low profile but no way smd caps will be enough.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Yeah. That's why any acdc you see has at least one big fat cap.

It's physics, no way to get around it, you need a big cap to have enough capacitance.

You can probably use smaller caps and more of them to keep it low profile but no way smd caps will be enough.

Sure, one can make up space by putting some caps on paralel to sum up the capacitance but as far as I know, that would requiere such a huge amount of smd caps that it wouldn´t be possible because it would be too expensive, and smd caps are not meant for that anyway.