650W+ SFX (not L) Power Supplies?

Griphook

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
I've been looking into PSU's, and given the power draw of the 2080Ti and OC'd i7-8700K's have come to the realization that given a Gold+ rating I'll need a 650W PSU minimum. However, it looks like there are precious few options in the SFX (not L) form factor, and like the SST SX650 they seem to have issue.

My question is thus, does anyone use a 650W+ SFX power supply, and if so are they happy with it? As a side note, if anyone has the SST SX650 have they discovered a way to modify the fan curve settings so it doesn't experience the issues discussed in the comments on Newegg?

Link: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256203

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I have zero issues with my Silverstone 650w. No issues with the fan noise, it's pretty quiet.

I previously had a Silverstone 450w SFX gold. I had one of the earlier versions and I did a fan mod on that. I have no desire to do a fan mod on the 650w.

Powering a 4770k and Vega56. No overclocks yet, but I'm planning on OC some day.

Griphook

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
I have zero issues with my Silverstone 650w. No issues with the fan noise, it's pretty quiet.

I previously had a Silverstone 450w SFX gold. I had one of the earlier versions and I did a fan mod on that. I have no desire to do a fan mod on the 650w.

Powering a 4770k and Vega56. No overclocks yet, but I'm planning on OC some day.

That's great news, I feel more comfortable buying it now. Out of curiosity, do you know if you can tinker with the fan curve?