3D printed, small form factor, computer case

dj52wtf

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
Fully 3D printed, small form factor, computer case.

This was built using hardware that was a few years old mainly as a proof of concept. This was designed to replace another HTPC I had in the entertainment center.

The processor is an i5 4440. The video card is a GTX 750ti. There is an SSD and a 2.5 mechanical 2 TB for storage. 8 Gigs of Ripjaw memory. All pretty standard stuff.

Part of what made this possible is the power supply which is a 300watt Pico ATX Power supply. It does require an external power brick but helps to keep the package small. It is the RGEEK 1106 DC to DC ATX Pico power supply. (Tried to add a link but the site kept choking on it.)

The thermals are fairly good with the Noctua NH-L9x65. I am seeing 35C at idle and the hottest core is seeing 75C with the CPU and GPU under full load for six hours. Sound levels are not noticeable when in use.

Current dimensions are 5.4in (138mm) Wide X 7.87in (200mm) tall X 7.87in (200mm) Deep

This was printed in PLA+ from Esun. It was printed with about 50% infill and isn't having any issues under heavy load for extended periods of time.

I also took care to eliminate material wherever there was likely to be any heat sinking into the materials. Specifically directly under the CPU.

This will support any low profile dual slot video card.

I plan to swap out the processor for something a bit newer as well as moving the storage to just an M.2 drive to save a bit more space. Also the graphics card will be bumped to a 1050ti.

Last edited:

dj52wtf

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
This was built using hardware that was a few years old mainly as a proof of concept. This was designed to replace another HTPC I had in the entertainment center.

The processor is an i5 4440. The video card is a GTX 750ti. There is an SSD and a 2.5 mechanical 2 TB for storage. 8 Gigs of Ripjaw memory. All pretty standard stuff.

Part of what made this possible is the power supply which is a 300watt Pico ATX Power supply. It does require an external power brick but helps to keep the package small. It is the RGEEK 1106 DC to DC ATX Pico power supply. (Tried to add a link but the site kept chocking on it.)

The thermals are fairly good with the Noctua NH-L9x65. I am seeing 35C at idle and the hottest core is seeing 75C with the CPU and GPU under full load for six hours. Sound levels are not noticeable when in use.

This will support any low profile dual slot video card.

I plan to swap out the processor for something a bit newer as well as moving the storage to just an M.2 drive to save a bit more space. Also the graphics card will be bumped to a 1050ti.

dj52wtf

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
do you plan to share the files too? :)
My plan is to refine this design to fit a wider range of hardware then make the plans available, likely for a small fee, to anyone who would like them. As with everything there is some room for improvement and I personally am not 100% happy with it quite yet.

Reactions: cleveland

dj52wtf

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
Awesome.
#art

What s the cpu cooler clearance?

Below is a section view of the CPU cooler arrangement. The cover plate of the fan (black) is a very tight fit to the fan (tan). This is mostly because for adequate thermal performance it is wise to isolate completely the intake from the exhaust. You do not want the fan recirculating warm air. Sort of like a cool air intake on a car.

I have actually found that the lower the internal volume of air the faster the fans are able to turn over equating to better cooling performance and lower noise from the system, and better power efficiency.

Reactions: judokamak

dj52wtf

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
In what material have you been printing? PETG?

This was printed in PLA+ from Esun. It was printed with about 50% infill and isn't haveing any issues under heavy load for extended periods of time.

I also took care to eliminate material wherever there was likely to be any heat sinking into the materials. Specifically directly under the CPU.

• Wow
Reactions: Kilrah

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Love the design. It creates an interesting mix of rounded corners and angled sides. I bet it holds up better with parts that get hotter with HTPLA or ABS. Since you plan to fit a wider range of hardware, some people will undoubtedly try to cram some powerful mini ITX GPUs in it.

If you do plan to distribute the files on a platform to sell, I recommend Cults3D. That's what I've been using for my custom case.

Reactions: dj52wtf

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
This was printed in PLA+ from Esun. It was printed with about 50% infill and isn't haveing any issues under heavy load for extended periods of time.

Nice machine! I've been experimenting with different print settings for cases like this before, and I got better results with more perimeters and 10-20% infill than with high infill. Just a FYI :)

Reactions: dj52wtf