Concept 2U / 8" Deep Rackmount AV Case (8-Liters)

xDchoisauce

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
EDIT:
Hello SFF Forum,

My concept case is a 2U (1.75" or 44.45mm per 1U) tall X ~19" (482mm) wide X 8" (203.2mm) deep.
The use case of this case would mainly be for A/V use environment where a standard 19" racks are used.

Long story short, I wanted a case that could fit into a portable 9" deep rack-case along with our mixer and wireless mic receivers etc. We currently have one made in a iStarUSA's 2U / 16" deep case, but it wastes a lot of unnecessary space.

Some notable things about the case:
  1. all fans used are 80mm as the 2U height limits it to that.
  2. For those of you who don't know, the width of the case is a standard for rackmount cases (19" from rack ear hole to the other rack ear hole.) The image below actually is a little bit narrower than it can be because I was too lazy to calculate for the thickness of the case material.
  3. Low-profile graphics card such as the 750ti or the 1050ti.
  4. The 2 x 5.25" bay could be used for HDD space, hotswap-cages, or other useful things.

I can imagine this being usable even as a HTPC for homes that have a rack for its audio gear (which are normally not 12"+ unless professional grade).

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

-Jae

Trying to post a picture but I can't seem to do it.
Could someone tell me what I should do..?

Last edited:

phaelax

Caliper Novice
Jul 7, 2017
Before I started working on my current design, I was looking for an 8" depth rackmount case, but the only one I found was a 1u.

xDchoisauce

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
Before I started working on my current design, I was looking for an 8" depth rackmount case, but the only one I found was a 1u.
Exactly. I've found a 2U one that was about 10 inches deep, but it sacrificed a lot on cooling.