13L/15L Massive heatsink idea

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Inspiration:

Idea 1: huge heatsinks everywhere (13L). 1x Noctua d14 for cpu, 1x Noctua d14 for GPU

Idea 2: Add 180mm fans in case VRM's are getting extremely hot (15.3L)

Main idea is to get the gpu to be ultra quiet under load.

Thoughts?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm very much in favor of huge heatsink and fan ratio to case size, this will no doubt perform the hell out of high end components. I do fear VRM temps on the 13L version, in my experience these need atleast some airflow in most setups.

y.dn.a

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2017
remove the part of the psu, add support for picopsu/g-unique, rotate the whole case 90 degrees in terms of natural heat convection so you may need no fan and it could be an perfectly compact fanless case :thumb:

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
remove the part of the psu, add support for picopsu/g-unique, rotate the whole case 90 degrees in terms of natural heat convection so you may need no fan and it could be an perfectly compact fanless case :thumb:
My only concern is how hot vrms would get. I think GPU vrms would definitely need active cooling or a way for their heat to transfer to the main heatsink

Also for a perfectly passive case the only cooler that can take 85-90w tdp is the nofan cr95. That wouldn't be able to take a GPU(150w) at all. So I think 300rpm fans would be necessary.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Lets keep the cases slim, and have the heatsinks stick out the side!
(I've wanted to do this with a D15 for ages, but doing this doesn't work well when you intend to throw it in a backpack!)

Reactions: VegetableStu

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
I would definitely have a horizontal case with the heatsink out the top vertically.

edit: with some drilled mesh like my icon would be cool.