Discussion 3080FE vram really hot

Myyr

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Hey Guys,

Looking for advice, I've got a 3080FE in a Origin Chronos, I know... but it was a gift, and i've been noticing that my VRAM is Always really hot and making the card always spin up the fans.
Im playing at 3440x1440 on an original run VAST monitor that I got on massdrop that's set to 100 refresh. I THINK i have about the best cooling I can get in the case, but nothing really seems to help. I've got 2 Noctua fans under the GPU trying to feed it but it just seems to always be hot once it gets a decent load.

I've got the GPU running an undervolt at 1850MHz @ 850mV and this doesn't seem to make a differnce.

I've noticed this is Destiny 2 of all games, and the Outrider Demo will get it spooling up too.

Does anyone have an ideas, or advice? I'd rather not go down the get a waterblock route I don't feel comfortable doing that.

Myyr

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Hey Guys,

Looking for advice, I've got a 3080FE in a Origin Chronos, I know... but it was a gift, and i've been noticing that my VRAM is Always really hot and making the card always spin up the fans.
Im playing at 3440x1440 on an original run VAST monitor that I got on massdrop that's set to 100 refresh. I THINK i have about the best cooling I can get in the case, but nothing really seems to help. I've got 2 Noctua fans under the GPU trying to feed it but it just seems to always be hot once it gets a decent load.

I've got the GPU running an undervolt at 1850MHz @ 850mV and this doesn't seem to make a differnce.

I've noticed this is Destiny 2 of all games, and the Outrider Demo will get it spooling up too.

Does anyone have an ideas, or advice? I'd rather not go down the get a waterblock route I don't feel comfortable doing that.
forgot to mention that my VRAM is all up around 100+ at the junction temp when it does this.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Earlier production of 3080FE does not include thermal pads while latter productions do.
So, check to see if yours have the thermal pads.
If not, may consider adding thermal pads as suggested by Igor's Lab.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myyr and rfarmer

Myyr

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Oh snap... that's something I wouldn't have ever though of... Thank you!

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Earlier production of 3080FE does not include thermal pads while latter productions do.
So, check to see if yours have the thermal pads.
If not, may consider adding thermal pads as suggested by Igor's Lab.
Is that a 3090 problem too? Do we know if serial's after a specific number are "fixed"?