Log đźš€ Neon Rocket 🦝 - A tiny, powerful, and quiet gaming pc build - 5800X3D + Custom A4000 GPU

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Thermalright released a black and a white version of the X36 some time ago - I had the silver and black one and they perform indeed very well.

Here is a comparison (in German) against the Noctua:

That does look interesting, and the 5800X3D can use any help it can get. Thermalright axp90 x36 black is inbound! Will swap, test and report here.

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
sir, i have question

does your pny rtx 3060 heatsink

come with mounting screw?

or you use orignal a4000 screw and bracket

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
sir, i have question

does your pny rtx 3060 heatsink

come with mounting screw?

or you use orignal a4000 screw and bracket

Yes, It does come with mounting screws.
However, I just re-used the original screws and bracket.

Last edited:

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
Now that I think about it, you may not be able to reuse the screws from the A4000. I believe the thread width of the aftermarket cooler may be larger. I had M2-M5 screw set that I used when needed. Something similar to this ...

if you are free

could you measure the stock screw than come with the pny heatsink for me?

also which size did you use inthe build?

i just need to find the right one for it

i afriad about the mounting pressure might kill the die

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
@oasis1991 - I am traveling now, I will return in about a week. There are several people that can possibly measure for you in the DIY aero thread. Ask there?

They maybe can help faster.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

sneedster

Trash Compacter
Apr 22, 2022
any coil whineem ? do you have a kill-a-watt to measure power consimption at the outlet? EDIT: oh right... 220W.
Im wondering if that upcoming 250w GaN hdplex could feed this setup, ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMv8-1day

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
i afriad about the mounting pressure might kill the die

like @Runamok81 said, check out the mod thread I have created

for me, the standoffs on the PALIT cooler were a little bit shorter compared to the original cooler that was on my card, so I'd advise to measure / compare that yourself on your card and taking care when tightening the screws - as a side note, you do not need a lot of mounting pressure for direct-die applications

Bild_2022-06-01_124716174.png

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
like @Runamok81 said, check out the mod thread I have created

for me, the standoffs on the PALIT cooler were a little bit shorter compared to the original cooler that was on my card, so I'd advise to measure / compare that yourself on your card and taking care when tightening the screws - as a side note, you do not need a lot of mounting pressure for direct-die applications

View attachment 1797
i might misunderstanding
i mean the screws that use to tighten down on the back of gpu (my 3rd party heatsink didnt come with)
hence i ask what size of the screw to use (in case i cant stock a4000 screw one)

if i say something wrong you can correct me

also did you use the screws that come with 3rd heatsink
or screw that come with the 3060ti dual orginally?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
i might misunderstanding
i mean the screws that use to tighten down on the back of gpu (my 3rd party heatsink didnt come with)
hence i ask what size of the screw to use (in case i cant stock a4000 screw one)

if i say something wrong you can correct me

also did you use the screws that come with 3rd heatsink
or screw that come with the 3060ti dual orginally?

My bad, perhaps I misunderstood. If you mean the I/O bracket, I used the one from my original card and fixed it with two M3 screws & nuts I had laying around.

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
My bad, perhaps I misunderstood. If you mean the I/O bracket, I used the one from my original card and fixed it with two M3 screws & nuts I had laying around.
thank you for information sir

but my word is confusing again

i mean this area of your current diy rtx 3060ti's screw (what size is it)

these 4 screws (cause my heatsink didnt come with mounting screws so i have to buy separately)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
thank you for information sir

but my word is confusing again

i mean this area of your current diy rtx 3060ti's screw (what size is it)

these 4 screws (cause my heatsink didnt come with mounting screws so i have to buy separately)

Those should be M2.5 on the PALIT cooler while the original cooler probably uses M2. For the length you'll have to measure / try. I assume might be 6 or 8mm.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
thank you

ordered box of screw like this

and digital vernier caliper

Hmm, those are countersunk screws, I've never seen them used in a GPU (at least not in an air-cooled one), mostly flat head screws are employed 🤔 But maybe this one is special.

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
Hmm, those are countersunk crews, I've never seen them used in a GPU (at least not in an air-cooled one), mostly flat head screws are employed 🤔 But maybe this one is special.
damn, i guess i should order flat head too

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
They'll work on non countersunk holes too, just subtract about a mm from the length because countersunk screws are measured with the head included but the heads won't go all the way into the hole. Don't over tighten them and be a bit careful with the heads sticking out because they may catch cables or other stuff. But other than that, you should be good.

sneedster

Trash Compacter
Apr 22, 2022
this is one real good and clean looking build and your photos are excellent too. hell maybe you could try to contact the densium fella for some sort of advertisement collab. made me want to buy one for sure.

Reactions: Runamok81

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
any coil whineem ? do you have a kill-a-watt to measure power consimption at the outlet? EDIT: oh right... 220W.
Im wondering if that upcoming 250w GaN hdplex could feed this setup, ha.
This was my thinking as well.
Maybe not with a non-undervolted 5800X3D, but a 65W TDP 5700X or 5900...

Although if you're going for pure gaming performance, a higher clocked 6c/12t 5600X would probably get you the best BTU for FPS...

Last edited:

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
I don't have hard figures to back it up, but I'd think that this build should comfortably match or beat the gaming performance of the Xbox Series X. Giving you a full fledged Pocket PC powerhouse in a 4L package, no power brick.
I want one so bad right now!
Please combined Crypto sell-off/RTX 40-series anticipation, create a perfect storm that tanks the cost of the used RTX A4000 market!