News Zotac Releases 2.65L Magnus EN72080V - I7 with RTX 2080

Zotac somewhat silently launched it's latest mini-monster. The EN72080V is 2.65L, and features an I7-9750H with an RTX 2080 (Laptop model). The Intel CPU is 6 Cores with 12 Threads, and has a boost clock of 4.5 GHZ and sustained clock of 2.6GHZ. These are laptop parts put into a desktop form factor.

Retail price is $1899.

https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en72080v-barebone

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I have an EN1070 which has been a fine machine, but has become gimped due to it's slow CPU. The EN72080V fixes that by using mobile CPUs instead of desktop models. It's a really nice little box. However, I don't have a bunch of money so look for my post to come about upgrading the CPU in the EN1070.

Reactions: ulhurusurf

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Not sure about the power brick. They’re mostly out of sight out of mind. Mine isn’t that big.

The hard part here is can you justify the cost verse getting a high spec laptop with a dock....

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
As long as it's a 200 watt 2080 then should be pretty awesome. Hope they provide Ryzen alternatives in the future.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
As long as it's a 200 watt 2080 then should be pretty awesome. Hope they provide Ryzen alternatives in the future.

The new Ryzen 4XXX series are game changers. Massive performance boosts with less heat and power. They're perfect for this system.

Reactions: ulhurusurf

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I
I have an EN1070 which has been a fine machine, but has become gimped due to it's slow CPU. The EN72080V fixes that by using mobile CPUs instead of desktop models. It's a really nice little box. However, I don't have a bunch of money so look for my post to come about upgrading the CPU in the EN1070.
I am working on upgrading mine to a 6700. I have a dell 330w PSU which should work. I'm going to delid it and put a copper ihs on it. Hopefully that will help. (Also I'm going to cut holes in the top)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Sometimes I don't understand.. how will it manage to stay cool & silent?

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I

I am working on upgrading mine to a 6700. I have a dell 330w PSU which should work. I'm going to delid it and put a copper ihs on it. Hopefully that will help. (Also I'm going to cut holes in the top)

Im taking a different approach. I found that the problem wasn't raw speed but was lack of threads. As such Im going with the 6700T. I don't plan to modify anything else as the power requirements from the CPU should not exceed the stock brick, and I can detune the CPU if necessary. If it still runs hot, Ill delid it.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Im taking a different approach. I found that the problem wasn't raw speed but was lack of threads. As such Im going with the 6700T. I don't plan to modify anything else as the power requirements from the CPU should not exceed the stock brick, and I can detune the CPU if necessary. If it still runs hot, Ill delid it.

Since I'm planning to use this for VR, the 6400t is way to weak. So I want to upgrade. Since 6700t's are not cheap (~150-200 USD). I found a full PC with a 6700 for 220 on eBay. I'll swap the CPU out(hopefully be able to sell it for ~120), and then delid and run tests on my en1070.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
Just out of curiosity, what is the driver support like on these? Do they use the standard desktop/laptop drivers from Nvidia, or does it rely on special driver updates from Zotac?

I used to have the Intel Hades Canyon NUC, and I sold that off because of the infrequent driver updates from Intel/AMD. The GPU in that unit (Vega M GH) wasn't supported by normal AMD drivers, so I ended up selling it off because the driver updates from Intel were so infrequent. It was really cool to have something so small, but going forward I'll stick to building my own rigs for the ability to upgrade and standard driver support.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
It uses standard Nvidia updates. I have GeForce Experience on it, and it updates at the same time as every other PC in my house. I even used MSI Afterburner to OC the GPU a bit.

The biggest issue I had was ram compatibility. You have to stick to Zotac's approved vendors list.

I actually used to play a lot of VR on mine. It ran things pretty well, though Half Life Alyx would be a challenge.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I just put the 6700T in and it's like having an entirely new computer! Battlefield 1 frame rates on 64 player servers, 1200P, Ultra settings have doubled, if not more. Locked 60FPS is easy. I can probably get a locked 80FPS. Absolutely awesome. Temps are higher, but within spec. Gaming I'm seeing 80C on the CPU. Stress tests got to 90C. CPU stuck mostly to 3.4GHZ.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
My 6700 just arrived, I put it in, and temps were in the high 80's when running unigine heaven. And my GPU was bottlenecked by thermal throttling. So I delid it.... with a vise. (I've hard great luck... but not this time). And things didn't go great. I didn't get it fully get it de-lided.... The silicon was too strong. I broke part of the CPU. (Didn't take a picture....) But it looked something like this(not nearly as bad, but it did crack and fray along the side)

I had to see if it was still working. I installed it back into the hp z240 that I pulled it from. It showed up in the bios which is a good sign. So I loaded up windows 10. it would not stay on for more than 20 seconds when booted into windows home screen. I think I only messed up the igpu. I shut it off and booted again and I could still enter into the bios and it showed up w/o an issue!

So I proceeded to give it a shot and continue delidding it. I pulled out a razor and went to town. I VERY CAREFULY, went around the sides. And then 3d printed a delid tool, and finished the delid. It went well. I leaned off the thermal paste, silicone and put come liquid metal on it. I bought a copper ihs from rockitcool. Put it on and put it in my en1070k. I have been running it for ~an hour and a half on unigine heaven and topped out at 81°c but stayed closer to 75°. Then I looked at hwmonitor. So it seems like the CPU can only get at max 40w. (I also bought a dell 330w power brick to ensure the CPU would get enough power) but I don't think it's necessary. Another thing I noticed is that the max frequency it was at was 3.7ghz. this is still better than the ~3.3ish my old 7500t was at. And it has hyper threading.

Now I'm working at modding the case... I bought this w/o a case on hardwareswap a few months back. And I had been searching for a case on eBay. A month ago I found on in Germany I ordered it and when it arrived I realized they shipped me the wrong one. I got a en970 case not a en1070 one. So I cut the hell out of the case. (The I/o was not the same, and some of them didn't line up... Specifics are in the imgur album)

I'm planning to use 2 noctua 60mm fan to help air intake. The fans in the system are not normal pwm connectors, but they are the same as GPU fan cables. So I came up with a set of wires and splitters (one I had to solder myself) to have all the fans powered off of the CPU fan. This cable is a bit of a mess... It goes motherboard vga connector -> 4 pin pwm -> PWM y splitter. That pwm y splitter has one cable that goes back to vga (so the original fan can be powered) the other end has another y splitter which power the 2 noctua nf-a6x25's.

Temps are not a whole lot different with the 2 noctua fans (about 2-3° cooler) so I'm still debating on keeping them or taking them out. They would be bolted down with m4x35mm bolts and nuts. And you have a fan grill on them (to keep things from going into the blades)

Haven't committed to the fans yet. If I don't add the fans then I will just add the fan grills with a little glue. I don't want to drill the holes into the case if I don't keep them, but I think it will help other components in the case with the are in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Revenant

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Tried doing a test fit of everything and I just came to realize that the en970 case I got from Germany will not work. :/ It is 5mm to short. I only noticed it when I put this side by side photo together

So I did a test fit (I couldn't before, since the holes were not lined up and thus would not work) so after getting it all modded the case will not work. Literally nothing lines up anymore. Ugh... Well. I guess this puts this project on hold until I can find some kind of replacement case that will actually work.

• Sad
Reactions: thewizzard1

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I was able to make it work, finish the build next is to test it all is still working. Then tune it for my Oculus. :)

I found some stand off to lift the top about 5mm, got some sugru(moldable silicone glue) to fill the holes on the I/O. (Doesn't look great, but it works). Painted the fan shrouds, Re-painted the top cover with black spray paint, and then satin clear coat. Lastly I eopxy-ed on some black fan grills.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Looks like it's working alright. Temps after 1 hour in unigine heaven:

GPU: 68°

CPU: averages about 74-76° with occasional spikes to ~85° causing it to thermal throttle. Which is expected since it's a 65w chip when only a 35w chip is supposed to be installed.

GPU has a slight overclock of +70 to the core and +160 to the mem in msi afterburner. Looks all good to me.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Delid?

Looks like it's working alright. Temps after 1 hour in unigine heaven:

GPU: 68°

CPU: averages about 74-76° with occasional spikes to ~85° causing it to thermal throttle. Which is expected since it's a 65w chip when only a 35w chip is supposed to be installed.

GPU has a slight overclock of +70 to the core and +160 to the mem in msi afterburner. Looks all good to me.