News ZOTAC Announces EN72070V

ZOTAC has finally released more info on their EN1070 successor. It’s got a Intel 6 core / 12 thread CPU that boosts up to 4.5GHZ, and RTX 2070. Slots include 1 NVME, 1 2.5 SATA, and one Optane slot, which should just be NVME. So maybe 2 NVMEs depending on specs.

The most interesting bit is that they’re including a 330 watt power brick. The EN1070 brick was only 180 watts.

The unit has a HDMI 2.0 port, but with recent driver updates, we’ve seen Nvidia unlock HDMI 2.1 with Variable Refresh Rate support (Gsync). This might be a good living room PC.

No pricing but I’m estimating one arm and at least a leg up to the knee. (See Edit 2)

I have an EN1070. Typically it stabilizes at 2.5 GHZ CPU and 1.5GHZ on the GTX 1070. Its biggest bottle neck though is the CPU which is an Intel 4 Core/4 thread 6400T. If the specs for the EN72070V are legit, then I can easily see this system putting out 80FPS 1440P Ultra in Battlefield V (no ray tracing), and being a great VR rig.

EDIT: The unit is 2.65L in volume.

EDIT 2: In the Zotac Facebook page, a MOD just stated it will cost between $1100 and $1500 (barebones) depending on the region. Less than expected.

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
The unit is now listed on the USA Zotac store...at $1599 $1499. That's higher than what their mod said. So it might be a place holder, or we might be getting hit with tariffs.

EDIT: $1499 now for barebones.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Looks like it uses some kind of custom PCB MXM, like it's predecessor: https://gadgetrip.jp/2019/08/zotac_magnus_en72070v_en52060v/

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Great find!

My guess is that if it's akin to the EN1070, the GPU will probably be clocked a up to 200mhz slower than the desktop equivalent. However, unlike the EN1070, it won't be hobbled by a weak CPU anymore.

Seems they dropped the US price by $100 on their store. Its listing at $1499 now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignsvn

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
A little bit of research later.... That is the mobile N18E-G2-A1 2070 chip.

Base clock: 1215 MHz (1410 MHz for Desktop)

Boost clock : 1440 MHz ( 1620 MHz for Desktop)

Memory and the rest of the main specs are identical to the desktop model with the exception of power consumption. 115 watts for mobile, and 175 for desktop.

Performance in games will probably be about the same as a 2060 Desktop model.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well, in celebration of me not paying for the new Zotac, I've decided to try to upgrade my EN1070 from the stock I5-6400T to a I7-6700T. This will double the thread count, and add a few more mhz to boot. I purchased a used HP EliteDesk Mini G2 (really cool little system BTW) that had an I7-6700T in it, and I'll swap the CPUs.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
By custom I meant "not following MXM 3.0 standard". Because ... a standard exists but no-one sticks to it....

I was pointing out it's a yes-and-no situation :) The Clevo cards are as available 3rd party (Ebay) as standard MXM of similar generations, and Clevo MXM is backwards compatible - Your standard MXM cards will slot in, and should work (once you resolve cooling and BIOS).

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I was pointing out it's a yes-and-no situation :) The Clevo cards are as available 3rd party (Ebay) as standard MXM of similar generations, and Clevo MXM is backwards compatible - Your standard MXM cards will slot in, and should work (once you resolve cooling and BIOS).

... and power. Zotac only put a 180 watt brick in their older units. The new ones have a 330 watt brick.

Reactions: thewizzard1

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
In case any of you were wondering what the inside looks like.
I was slightly disappointed that its not like the 1070 series where you can upgrade the CPU and the GPU followed a proper MXM format.
The thermal paste application is also really bad. I replaced it with CoolerMaster Maker Gel and temps dropped by 7c at peak load.
Also the Optane slot is an NVME only slot. You can put an NVME M.2 SSD in it. SATA not supported.
SATA M.2 can be put into the other M.2 slot though.
So you can have an NVME + SATA M.2 SSD in the system at one time.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
In case any of you were wondering what the inside looks like.
I was slightly disappointed that its not like the 1070 series where you can upgrade the CPU and the GPU followed a proper MXM format.
The thermal paste application is also really bad. I replaced it with CoolerMaster Maker Gel and temps dropped by 7c at peak load.
Also the Optane slot is an NVME only slot. You can put an NVME M.2 SSD in it. SATA not supported.
SATA M.2 can be put into the other M.2 slot though.
So you can have an NVME + SATA M.2 SSD in the system at one time.

Great info! I like the 3 fans. When I did the CPU swap I went with Thermal Grizzly as the stock paste seemed really bad.

Can you have 2 NVME drives at the same time?

It’s a completely different internal and cooler layout compared to the 1070. Honestly though, if they’re going to design they’re own layout then they should align the CPU and GPU and use a larger GPU vapor chamber blower cooler.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yes you can have 2 nvme drives at the same time.

yeah I was hoping the cpu would be socketed. Which is a shame. If you want 6c/12t then this is the system to get, you can’t put anything more than 4c/8t in the en1070.
I honestly feel like the system is a little underpowered and would opt for an STX build.
It’s roughly 30% slower than my 9900k + 5700xt when I tested in Division 2